Chapter 13: Alleyway

Start from the beginning

The fight gradually turned more and more violent.

In the end, it was a match between five grown men and a fifteen-year-old kid.

The kidnappers were slowly pushing him against the wall. They were leading him, guiding him somewhere.

One figure lunged at him with his sword and he lost more ground. Too focused on those fighting him in the front, he wasn't able to catch one of them sneaking behind him.

When Aurelion finally saw the man from the corner of his eyes, it was already too late.

His remaining knife was knocked out of his hands and his kidnappers converged.

One person restrained him by his arms and dragged him to the end of the alleyway.

They stood there while he struggled wildly, desperately trying to escape.

Five voices chanted.

Someone covered his mouth.

A bright circle glowed beneath him, followed by a sweet-smelling fragrance entering his nose, reminding him of burnt sugar and roses.

Restrained forcefully with his arms behind his back, Aurelion's eyes widened.

The alleyway started to disappear.

—And that was all he could remember before feeling a sharp pain against his neck.

Everything went black.

---

Two heads turned the very moment Aurelion was pulled into the alleyway.

"Young Master—"

The Young Master cursed.

The air suddenly shifted as the youth's casual demeanor turned strangely malevolent within a blink of an eye.

Rainier froze when vermillion eyes turned on him with a gaze so crazily intense, he nearly stopped breathing.

It'd been a while since he saw such a gaze. The pressure hung over him like a heavyweight. He couldn't see (can't see, can't see, can't see—).

"Get help. I'll take care of it," the Young Master spoke with a rigid tone of voice.

It took all but a few seconds before the servant was able to regain his bearings as if nothing happened.

He cast the Young Master a look wavering between uncertainty and suspicion. Despite how much Rainier disliked him, he was unwilling to let him go off on his own.

The Young Master's face grew darker at the obvious sign of distrust.

Finally, he said, You are both aware my next attempt is scheduled for next month. I did not plan this." The last sentence was snapped out with an edge of distaste and a promise of violence.

Perhaps Rainier had grown lax these past few weeks. He was suddenly unused to the way the Young Master spoke.

Vermillion eyes glared at him. "Rainier, I'm ordering you to go. Don't make me force you."

It took every bit of self-control for the servant to remain unruffled by the threat. He wanted to touch the mark on his face and demand answers.

Gritting his teeth, Rainier bowed his head obediently and play the role of a Capable Servant.

"As you wish..." He turned.

"Rainier..." the Young Master suddenly called out.

He looked back and saw the other bring out one of his purchases from the jewelry store.