Let the Games Begin

Beginne am Anfang

"Great, how much more persuasion do you need?"

"I could be swayed. Humor this old hat by giving it another reason" the hat drawled.

Harry really wanted to scowl but the hat was the one with the power here, he had to do this right. "Tom Riddle"

"Once again young man, names do not equal reason."

"Wow, never knew you could do math so well."

"You know, I'm very tempted to put you in Slytherin just to spite you."

"That would be the Slytherin side of you talking. Now will you let your dear Hufflepuff side take over? She wished for the safety of the students and with such a dangerous wizard in Slytherin, I could very much die whilst he frames someone else."

"Child, we both know that you wouldn't really be in danger considering your skillset and power. He'd rather have you on his side."

"How can you be so sure though? He's very intelligent and manipulative."

"I know, to this day, his mind was one of the most memorable throughout my career."

"People change"

"True, but I was only offering my opinion."

"Please? I have some plans in place that wouldn't come to prosper in Slytherin. I'd be faced with too much suspicion."

"Alright child, I'll allow you to go this time but you better stick to your plans."

"Thank you sir!"

"Very well, HUFFLEPUFF!"

  The hat was removed from Harry's head and he stood to give a polite bow after his the Hufflepuff crest appeared on his robes. He gave a seemingly warm grin as expected of him and in a show of house loyalty, he gave himself spiky black hair with yellow tips. The smile remained on his face as he made his way over to the Hufflepuff table, but to those looking closely, they would notice that the smile didn't reach his eyes at all. Even as a metamorphmagus, he wasn't able to hide his pain at the emptiness of the Great Hall without his siblings.

  Arriving at Hogwarts was basically testing his occlumency abilities. Everywhere he looked in the Great Hall, he would be reminded of his friends. He avoided looking at the Gryffindors, knowing he would only be caught up in memories of light chatter amongst Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville. He couldn't even bring himself to look at the Slytherin table where the Blacks and Malfoys were trying to catch his eyes. He would be too tempted into reliving the memories of his times with Draco- their taunting sessions and glaring contests from across the hall were always the highlight of his mornings. He wouldn't look at the Ravenclaw table as he would choke on his tears if he reminisced about the times he chatted about everything and nothing with his dear sister Luna. He swallowed the lump in his throat, forcing himself to breath through the pain in his chest. At least in Hufflepuff, he wouldn't have too many memories to deal with, too many complex emotions to neutralize, too much of anything. It was the perfect place for him to rest.

He allowed others to introduce themselves to him- he met Pomona Sprout who is currently a fourth year, Lacerous Smith, a second year who just wanted to say hello, Penelope Bones, a seventh year, Harold Abbott, a fifth year, Eurydice Smith, another fifth year, Olivia Jones, a cute fourth year, and Walter Diggory, the sixth year version of Cedric's grandfather.

  It was a little disconcerting at first to see the grandparents of his classmates in their teenage years but he made do. He answered the few questions posed to him about his life and he gave them his made up story. He lies perfectly through his smile and welcoming eyes, but he still feels lost. He pushed away Dumbledore's attempt of getting him under his thumb politely. It's all too much and not enough at the same time. Hogwarts just isn't home without his family nor without his godfather's marks of mischief all over the place.