Bravery

The crowd let out a pitiful, muffled groan. Many girls gave a little scream.. I quickly took off my jacket and handed it to Jason.

Before Jason could understand my motive, i was already on the other side of the railing.

'I'm coming Bella,' i called out.

'I heard Jason shouting at me but i didn't  respond. I had to save Bella. I slipped and fell on the ice with a thud. But the ice didn't break. I slowly crawled to the middle of the lake.

Brrrrr.... It was cold. I jumped into the water and saw Bella lying lifeless. I quickly grabbed her hand and swam up. Even though i was a good swimmer, my hands and legs were turning numb. I feared to let go of Bella's hand. I heaved her up. She was heavy but i didn't give up. I was losing consiousness-- finding it difficult to hold my breath. I heaved Bella up with all my strength. Finally, she was out of water. I pulled myself out fighting the urge to breathe. My chest heaved and i took a deep breath.

I started coughing and my nostrils ached. 

'Kat, Kat,' called Jason. I could get Bella ony upto the railing. Someone pulled Bella to the other side. Jason lifted me in his arms and put my jacket around me. I suffered pain and numbness in my hands. My legs felt wobbly and my toes ached. Jason took off his jacket and put it around me .

'Y-y-y-y-you w-will catch cold,' i said shivering.

'I won't. You will catch cold if i don't take care of you,' he said. 'I'm going to get you home soon.'

I leaned on his shoulder. My fingers grew numb at the tips.

'I'm a fool. I should have stopped Bella ,' he moaned. 'You are shivering badly, Kat.'

'Hey, Brrrr,' was all i could say.

My Grandpa opened the door.

'Kat,' he said surprised to see me wet.

'I will explain. Someone played a trick on by throwing a bucket of water on her,' lied Jason.

Grandpa studied his face. 'Come in, fast,' he told me.

'Take care,' said Jason.

I nodded and closed the door. I quickly sripped off and put on dry clothes. Grandma served me bisciuts and hot soup. I stared at the ceiling thinking about Jason. The look on his face-- the fear when he saw me shivering-- gasping for breath. He cared for me. I don't understand how i made up my mind to save Bella .

Later, i rang at one of Bella's Friend's house to know how she was . She told me she was fine and cut the connection. How rude!  Then my phone beeped. 

'Hi, this is Jason'.

'Hi Jason,' i said excited.

'Feeling better?'

'A lot-- after your call.'

Silence.

'Are you there,' i asked.

'Er-- you really brave,' he said.

'Thanks,' isaid twisting my curls.

'We will walk together to school,' he said.

'I will come to your house by 7:00. No worries about passing the lake. I have gained confidence after this incident,' i joked.

'So you don't want me to hold your hand?,' he asked.

'I really like it when you hold my hand,' i said.

Silence. I sneezed.

'Woah, you are going to catch cold.'

I laughed.

'Ok bye,' he said and hung up.

The next morning i reached Jason's house at 7:00 sharp.

'Tomorrow is christmas,' he said.

'Yeah, i'm glad school is off tomorrow,' i said. 

'Do you believe in love?,' he asked.

'love?,' i asked.

He nodded.

'I don't know. I don't think so,' i said. i studied Jason's face. Then we walked in silence. Bella ignored us. She imagined Eddie to be dead!

Christmas came and passed. Days passed like weather. Jason had become my best buddy. Something was bothering him but he wouldn't tell me what was troubling him. Jason decided to put an end to the drama and told Bella abot Eddie-- his fake girlfriend! Bella chose not to respond. The next day, we came to know that she had slapped poor Eddie!

One day, i went to Jason's house but he was not at home. I was planning about his birthday celebrations. Mrs.Drew wanted to bake his favourite vanilla cake. I was very pleased.

The next day, Jason was upset. I was worried. Nothing should upset him before or on his birthday.

'Jason, what's the matter?,' i asked and took his hands in mine.

'My-My nothing,' he said.

'You can trust me,' i said pressing his hand.

'Jimmy gets fits,' he said. i remained quiet.

'He-He got his first fit when he was only eight. I was eleven. I was so scared when i saw my brother make crazy movements in the middle of the night. I still remember it. He gets fits every three months. He got it yesterday. It was horrible. And my father-- he doesn't even know about it because he comes to Sothampton only once in a year,' he said full of remorse.

I saw tears filling his eyes. I embraced him to make him feel better. He pulled away in surprise.

'Don't worry,' i said. He went away without a goodbye.

'I promise you, Jason. Your birthday will turn out to be the best day of your life,' i told myself.

****************************************************************

Things are heating up between Jason and Katherine. She's deeply in love. The next chapter maybe the best in Jason's life but it maybe the worst in Katherine's life.

You don't want to miss the next one..........