"Merry Christmas, Izuku,"

Start from the beginning

Damn it. Mina should have known. When Izuku shot her a look back then, that was a sign. He pays attention to the small things.

"You told me she had a game this week. She's not even here." He gestured to the empty parking lot.

"She's coming," Mina mumbled, turning her head away from her friend.

"Mina," His voice was frail. She could turn her head around. She could. Cry into his arms and confess some stupid lie, and everything would be okay.

"Is she? We can get a ride together if you don't have one. I don't mind," He rested his hand on her shoulder and gave her a gentle squeeze.

His hand, was on her shoulder, squeezing her to make her feel better. For a second, she let her head lay against his hand. Screw keeping your distance from your friends. It never works out anyways.

For a moment, time stopped. The wind died down, and the snowflakes rested gently at their feet. The restaurant and Mina's friends faded away from memory. It was quiet, too quiet, so she focused on her breathing and the slow rise of Izuku's chest.

Did he mind this?

Does he miss this?

You are not supposed to.

You are in the wrong.

Think of Ochaco.

It was that thought that made her head lift and turn to stare at the freckled boy. She moved a bit farther away from him and cleared her throat. Her boots had become the most intriguing thing in the world.

"Mina," His hand reached out to where her shoulder once had been before retracting it, unsure of himself. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Her eyes were glued to the ground as she traced circles in the snow with the heel of her boot.

"Honestly, Izuku," She mustered a fake smile, "It's okay." His eyes were glossy, and he couldn't help but pout.

Fuck.

"Mina," He whispered. "Talk to me."

"We've been over this. It's okay to reach out and talk to people. You don't need to put it all on yourself." His hand caught her shoulder again.

"And I have been!" She pleaded. His touch left her shoulder. "I don't want to talk about it, Izuku. Just let it go."

The hint of annoyance in her voice was prevalent. It slipped out on accident.

"Izuku," She pressed her lips together."I didn't mean it like that." He folded his arms and retreated into himself. That was enough pushing for today.

"I didn't mean to hurt you," She whispered. A shitty attempt, but hey, it was something. "I'm sorry." She said softly.

She moved back towards him, their sides of their knees brushed against each other.

She wouldn't last much longer. It was just so, so damn tempting to tell the guy. The way he glanced at her. It left a hollow feeling inside of her, a feeling she didn't like.

"I...I took your advice," She started. "I started opening up to people, I mean." Her tone was quick and awkward, but, he grinned, and Mina assumed he got the message.

He smiled, but it fell quickly as his face went back to being burrowed in deep thought.

"It doesn't feel like you're there," He paused again. The wind whistled softly in the night. It was the only sound besides the softness of their breathing.