Mission : Start

The next morning was as you would expect it. Mina rose out of bed, did her daily stretches, happily humming to music from down the hallway. She slipped on her uniform hanging over her bedpost and went to the shared bathroom. Before she left the door, she saw an empty cup on her table.

This cup was from last night. She thought. MIna picked it up and brought it close to her chest.

Out of all the people, why was Midoriya awake? How could she allow people to see her so easy, so vulnerable? The girl crying in her bonnet last night isn't Mina Ashido! Ashido Mina is a ray of sunshine whom is cheerful and always willing to lend a hand.

There was a comforting thought to this whole thing. Midoriya wasn't one to gossip, not at all. If anything, he'll write the story of what happened down in one of his quirk assessment notebooks. The thought of the green nerd hunched down behind a book, scribbling away about her vulnerability made her chuckle.

His words stuck in her mind, it's okay. It's alright to feel like this. To be vulnerable. Was it, though?

Mina's supposed to have it all figured out. Her classmates all look up to her. Now isn't a time to be weak and vulnerable. She placed her cup back down and fixed her hair before walking out the door.

---

The U.A grounds were huge, having dorms, campus, training facilities, and more. All of it managed to fit on a large hill overlooking the town of Mustafa. In September, the bright pink of Cherry Blossoms got replaced with orange. Fall was in season. Mina found herself walking with more people in the fall. This particular Friday morning, she walked with Tooru Hagakure, her closest friend.

The two girls hit it off pretty fast on the first day of school, so much so that Mina stayed with the Hagakures until dorms were ready for the incoming freshmen. They were a warm and inviting nuclear family. There were so many similarities that reminded Mina of her own. Even though she got care packages monthly, and the video chats were more frequent in the first semester, she always ended up sleeping on a wet pillow. Tooru never heard the silent weeps from her best friend. It was better that way.

The couple chatted happily about what the other missed on her absent day.

"Say, I didn't see you come down for dinner. Where were you last night?"

"Oh, you know," her hands swung back and forth. "I was so caught up with my English homework. I stayed up all night trying to finish. "

She teased, "Mina, you really should take better care of yourself."

"Yeah yeah, " Mina swatted her hand in annoyance. They were by the front of the school now. If they timed it right, the girls would be in 1-A with enough time to do their daily gossip.

Mina stopped walking, and two shoes turned to face her.

"Mina, what's up?"

"Have you ever," She paused, trying to think of how to phrase this. "Have you ever just wished you were quirkless?" At times like this, she wishes she could read Hagakure's face. The invisible girl didn't respond at first.

"Sometimes," She huffed. The shoes on the floor turned away from Ashido and made their way to the classroom.

"Yeah, sometimes," She mumbled to herself.

It was a dumb question. Ashido thought. Of course, everyone thinks of not wanting a quirk. I don't know where I'm getting at anyway. Quirkless people have it harder than me. I should be grateful. The rates of suicide for quirkless individuals increase by the year. I'm at an advantage here.