1. A Tree

This story is dedicated to babysofia, with thanks for all your support. I'm sorry I've not written as much as usual in May, but I hope being able to choose a new story for everyone to enjoy makes up for that a little.

And for anyone who likes this story, please let me know what you think; what works and what doesn't. Feedback is always appreciated.

Jacob was walking sulkily through the woods, kicking at every tree root that crossed the path as if they had personally offended him. After a few steps he glanced around and slumped with his back against one of the gnarled trunks. He didn't pull out his new iPhone and share stunningly realistic photos of the sylvan landscape, because he didn't think the strip of woodland along the edge of Baker Park was particularly picturesque, and because in his opinion there was little lamer than showing off photos of a boring day. He didn't use the same phone to order a pizza for collection on the way home because he was spending the day with his father and little sister, and there was little to no chance he could get away with picking up unauthorised treats.

Jacob didn't find a comfortable perch in the low branches of a tree while he checked out the latest rewards from the daily loot crate on Idle Football Champion 7 because he knew it would only be seconds before his father called to complain about him wandering out of sight; and he thought he could hear the sound of an irritable voice through the trees already. And he didn't open up the Clatter app to let everyone know just how awful Dad was being to him, for the same reason he really didn't do any of the things that had just crossed his mind.

Jacob was grounded, and after all the time he'd spent making friends among sympathetic rebels online, Dad had decided that coming along on this trip to the park was just one more required step along the tortuous path to getting his iPhone back.

"Jake!" Dad's voice came around the corner. Jacob took a step sideways, edging around the tree just a fraction to keep himself out of sight just a second longer. He didn't want to be here, but if there was no other option he could at least cause as much trouble as possible without stepping outside the rules that had been set down.

"Jake, are you here? Ah, there you are. Have you seen Leah's pacifier? She hasn't got it."

"Why would I have seen a pacifier?" he snapped back. "Seriously Dad, why do you even ask me?"

"You're supposed to be helping me to look after your sister. And you haven't been particularly helpful this far. I thought maybe you'd seen her drop it."

Jacob looked down at the little kid. She seemed to be all his dad cared about now, a baby sister he had never wanted. He didn't think that adding another child to the family was a good idea, not at his parents' age. But they hadn't even consulted him before deciding that they wanted a daughter, and over the last three years his life had gone from bad to worst. The baby was annoying, perpetually sticky, drooled on everything, and always seemed to be irrationally optimistic no matter what happened to her. If he yelled at her for something, he would get an extra bunch of chores as punishment for upsetting the baby, while she would be right back to the same insufferable ball of sunshine inside of five minutes. To Jacob, Leah symbolised everything that was wrong with his family life.

"I didn't. Sorry Dad." He didn't say any of the things he was really feeling. He didn't voice his annoyance at having to be here, or his frustration about losing virtually a whole afternoon for a trip that held no value whatsoever for him. He just had to be quiet and compliant, and then he might be able to spend the next day with his friends. He needed to be there for them, the team needed him. No matter what had happened at the mall, he couldn't let down the people who mattered this weekend. Even if that meant not arguing with his Dad, and pretending he was eager to help with the little brat who was still shaking up the predictable routine at home.