Confiding / Apologies

Start from the beginning

I didn't.

Damian sniffled, sitting back up. "No." He shook his head before running a hand through his hair, leaving it on the base of his neck.

"I mean Tim...I wish I had more time with him like this...that probably doesn't make any sense, nevermind. Just, forget I said anything." Shaking his head again, he moved to stand, obviously embarrassed about what he'd said.

"Wait. Damian, hey." I stood too, putting my hand on his shoulder. "It does make sense. I know that before all this, Tim was, well, different. It's like you're seeing a new side to him. The side you always wanted to get to know because he's your brother."

My voice was soft as I spoke. Steady and even, as I tried to voice what Damian was feeling.

Turning apprehensively, he just stared at me. Unsure at first, then relieved as he slowly nodded.

"I feel selfish, but you're right. This Tim, is still Tim, but...he's so much more too. I've never felt this connected to him before. I dont...I dont want to lose that."

As he wiped at his face, I realized he was crying. Soft sobs were hidden behind his hands as he turned away. My heart broke a little for him.

"Oh, kiddo. You're not gonna lose that." Instinctively, I pulled him to me, hugging him tightly.

"You are always welcome in my home. You're always welcome here. I know for a fact Tim would love to have you visit."

Through his sobs and hiccups, he looked up at me. "Really? I want to stay longer with Tim...with both of you." He was hugging me back then, tightly.

The moment was surreal to me. In the time that I knew Damian, he had somehow become like a brother to me. I never had someone younger like this to protect. I had always been the younger brother. The younger friend.

I wanted nothing more than to make him happy. Maybe it was solely because I felt that making Damian happy would make Tim happy.

Whatever the reason, I was gonna do it.

As I rubbed his back, we just stood there. My mind raced to find the right words to say. "Damian...I know Tim will be ecstatic if you stay longer. I would like it too. Like I said, you're always welcome here."

He pulled away to look at me, smiling brightly. His entire demeanor had changed. Seeming brighter. Elated. Carefree. "Thanks Jason. And sorry, I'm not...I'm not usually this emotional."

That made me laugh and I ruffled his hair, causing him to smile and chuckle as he playfully pushed my hand away.

"Kiddo, i'm not judgin. Tim seems to have that effect on people recently." With a nod, Damian agreed, his own laugh echoing mine now.

The feeling of satisfaction eased through me. Calming my nerves. Damian staying a little longer was something I knew Tim would appreciate.

As we talked about heading back inside, Roy joined us. A bag for Tim in his hand with a change of clothes.

When I saw the blue camera bag in his other hand, I grinned. "Thanks, Roy. I know this will help him feel better." Damian nodded in agreement, then followed me back into the hospital. Roy followed behind us.

This whole situation was gonna be an adjustment for all of us. Especially Tim. Italy was a long way from New York. Having some family still close would be a good thing.

Having anything here that reminded him of home would be great. Those things, so far, included his camera and Damian.

__________________________________