Chapter 4 - Long Walk

Start from the beginning

She could vividly remember the first time she walked through that corridor. Eager and excited to sign a contract that would grant her a sponsor, a decent salary, and an apartment in Australia. However, now, she didn't know what to expect, and the longer she walked, the more she anticipated and rehearsed.

When her eyes saw the two-sided door of Florencia's office, her hands started shaking. Debora knocked, and the door opened a few seconds later. Florencia came to the door with an inviting smile.

"Debora, nice to see you!" She walked back to her desk and took a seat. "Please, have a seat."

Debora moved to sit down, hiding the letter behind her back.

"I hope I'm not that daunting! You look terrified." Florencia tried to break the ice.

"Sorry!" She cursed under her breath.

"I just called you to have a follow-up." The intriguing demeanor of her employee wasn't helping the conversation. "How are you settling down here; how do you find the apartment, Australia, better said, Sydney?"

"I love this job."

"Yes, I can tell. By the way, the clients were ecstatic with the woods you suggested. And the owner contacted me, saying that we have his permission to use the property, as long as we keep it clean and intact."

So, Adam had been in touch with Florencia; Debora reasoned, but she was speechless.

"I'm happy with your performance. I had my doubts at first, and Richard didn't help, but I think you proved your worth once again with the woods." Florencia beamed. "What a great idea!" She eyed her employee. "So, how is the rest of the settling going? Do you like the apartment?"

"I love the apartment, it's got a great view, it's cozy and modern. I couldn't wish for better. Thank you so much!"

"And do you like Sydney; do you attend church somewhere?" Florencia suspected that Debora had met Adam at the church. That was why she asked about church.

"Yes. I go to the Larking's Church."

"I'm not a Christian, and I don't trust religious organizations," She paused just to add some information. "I don't wanna discourage you, but especially that church is a mess, and what I've seen there made me question everything," Florencia confessed. "Still, attending church is a good way to get to know other people." She was very rational.

"I think so too." She agreed. "But I do believe that God has nothing to do with most religious organizations. Men organize their own greedy businesses and use the name of God to sanctify their selfish intents. I guess I separate the waters, and that's what helps me keep the head above water."

"Is Richard treating you well?" Her boss abruptly changed the subject.

Debora was speechless by the question, especially because she suspected that Adam had talked to Florencia about what he had witnessed in the woods.

"Not very well." She replied. "If I'm being honest."

"What do you mean?"

"I guess we just don't get along."

"What happened in the woods?" Florencia eyed her with suspicion.

"We had a misunderstanding." Debora was sugarcoating the truth.

"What kind of misunderstanding?" Clearly, Florencia wanted to stretch out the truth. "Should I not leave you alone with Richard?" She asked after the long silence. "Why didn't you tell me, Debora?"

Debora simply looked down and then started mumbling, but Florencia carried on:

"I know he tried to rape you. Adam came here to testify for you."