Chapter 8 : Ruminations of the Past

Kaka Sasur Ji : Aap?

Thamma : Haan, mai.

A blast from the past rushed through Kaka Sasur Ji's mind. He suddenly remembered how he had, just about a year ago, insulted Bondita's Thamma at the gates of the haveli, and asked her to leave. This was when Thamma had come to thee Roy Choudhury Mansion to ask for Anirudh's hand in marriage to Bondita. Thakuma had sought this to be the only option to save Bondita from what society would say to an orphan. A married girl could never be insulted, especially not if she was the bou (daughter in law) of such a well-known family.

Kaka had not even waited to listen to Bondita's name, before he had Thamma thrown out of the house. Just listening to Bondita's story had made him develop a feeling of hate, or rather, fear, about how someone as unlucky as Bondita could destroy the whole family. He was shocked to see the same woman back at the Haveli, but was clueless as to why she was here. Kaka Sasur Ji hadn't been informed that she was Bondita's Thamma.

Kaka Sasur Ji : Bahu, why have you brought this woman over? How do you know her?

Bondita : Woh, Kaka Sasur Ji, She's actually my Thamma. Thamma, this is my Kaka Sasur Ji.

Kaka Sasur Ji : WHAT? 

Thamma : Yes Bondita, I know who he is. I have known him from longer back. It's just that he now has a different identity, that of your Kaka Sasur Ji.

Kaka Sasur Ji realised how he had deferred his own words, and unknowingly gotten his nephew married to the very person he had plainly rejected. He wasn't angry, but more in shame to have done something so two faced. He was also ashamed of the fact that he was a man to always brag about the Zamindar's word. He had broken his very own word. In shame, he started to shout. 

Kaka Sasur Ji : What? How can you just get anyone home like this? Don't you---

Anirudh was going to the library, when he heard Kaka shouting, so he rushed towards he room. 

Anirudh : Kya hua Kaka, why are you shouting again? Haven't we had enough for the day already? On top of that, Bondita's Thakuma is also here... is this how you wish to portray yourself in front of her? 

Kaka Sasur Ji : No Anirudh, I don't need to portray myself as anything in front of anyone! Why is she here is my question. I had already warned her once not to come back.

Thamma : Trilochan Babu, I had come then with a different purpose. I come here now as the grandmother of this family's Boro bou. And I think I deserve to be shown at least a bit of respect, and not disrespect. 

Anirudh : Wait, I don't understand. Thakuma, what do you mean by "then, I had come with a different purpose"? Do you know Kaka? 

Kaka : Yes, Abhayananda Devi (Thamma's name) knows me, and I know her as well.

Anirudh : How is that possible? This is the first time eer that Bondita has come here, right? then how could you have know Thakuma from before?

Thamma : It's because I had come here a year ago, asking for your hand in marriage to my grand daughter, Anirudh beta. Your Kaka had denied the marriage then, because he thought my grand daughter was Abhagi, since she had lost her parents. And now look at who has brought in the same girl as your family's boro bou. 

Anirudh : Wait, what? You had wanted to get Bondita married to me? 

Thamma : Yes, beta.

Anirudh : But why would you ever want that? 

Thamma : Because it was the only option I had left, to protect Bondita from getting  cornered by society. And, your family is a rich one, no one would ever be able to show my Bondita down. 

Anirudh, although still fazed about why getting married always had to be the only option for women in order to gain respect, admired the fact that Bondita's Thamma thought in that way, instead of being another one of society, bent only on insulting anyone who had come across something as sad as that. 

Anirudh : Oh, okay. Kaka, how could you insult someone like that? Is it nice to do so? I don't understand your ideals sometimes. Never mind that. Thakuma, please do forgive us for the ill-treatment. I apologise to you on Kaka's behalf. Please forget whatever has happened in the past, and look forward to a fresh start. I assure you that nothing of that sort will ever happen again. Please do stay over for a few days, it would be enjoyable for you. And I'm sure Bondita has missed you too. Haven't you, Bondita? 

Anirudh was trying to cheer Bondita up, but in vain. On hearing this, she puffed up her cheeks once again, and turned her face away. 

Thakuma : It's alright, I have already forgotten it all... Our relations with this family have changed now, and I am not offended by your Kaka anymore. However, Anirudh beta, I am not here to stay this time. In fact, I am here to invite the two of you over to our house, for the Ashtamangla Rasam. I know it's a bit early, but I really cannot wait to spend time with my Bondita again. I am sorry.

Anirudh : No, no, Thakuma, I understand. You've been away from your granddaughter for so long. It's only fair for you to want to spend more time with her. I am fine with coming over, but well, I don't know if your grand daughter wants to come with me. Am I right, Bondita? 

Bondita, her cheeks still puffed up, shook her head in no. She did, after all, want to visit her Thamma's place. She loved it there. 

Thamma : (chuckling) No, no, Anirudh beta. Meri Bondita bohot achhi hai. She would never deny coming to her Thamma's place. And you're her husband. Why would she not want to come with you? She's just a bit sad, probably. Always been a silly, moody, girl. She'll be fine soon. Bondita, humare saath chalna hai na? Or should I just take Anirudh beta with me? It's okay, I'll feed him all the kachhe aam, and the roshogollas. You stay here. 

Bondita : Nahi! I never said I wouldn't come. Why won't I come to my Thamma's place? Of course I will come. Why would you feed my share of kachhe aam and roshogolle to someone else? I am definitely coming with you. 

Thamma : That's like my grand daughter! Now go, get ready. Apna saamaan, aur apne pati ke saamaan  ko bhi bandh lo. Jao!

Bondita : Ji Thamma. Pati Babu, do you wish to come, or do you have the intentions to just stand here for the rest of the day? 

Anirudh : Look who finally decided to speak to me! Haan, chalo chalo Bondita. Kaka, we're coming downstairs in a while.

Bondita : Ji Kaka Sasur Ji. We'll be downstairs in a while. 

Kaka : Haan, Bahu aur Anirudh, go get ready. 

Bondita :  Thamma, please do wait in the Baithak, I'll ask Bhaari Babu to send some refreshments for you.

Thamma : That really isn't necessary, Bondita, I'll just wait downstairs. 

Anirudh : No, Thakuma... this is the first time you've come over, you must have something. Bihari will get something over for you. 

Thamma : Oh alright then, if you insist. Now, get going you two.

Bondita and Anirudh : Ji.

The two walked out of Kaka Sasur Ji's room, and went upstairs to get their luggage ready.

(Will Bondita get over her disappointment in Anirudh? Will Anirudh even be able to console her? Keep reading to find out!)

Please let me know how this chapter was, in the comments, and also provide any suggestions that you might have.

Signing off!