Chapter 15

"Levi!" Ignoring the pain, I struggled to my feet, turned the necklace to spear, and swung, hitting the centaur who had struck him. It sent pain down my arm, but I ignored it. Scooping Levi under one arm, I dashed toward the king, spear tightly clutched.

"When could you do that?" a centaur asked, snagging the back of my collar. "You're a human!"

"Ruby's dying wish," I mumbled, swinging the spear around to club her in the face.

She caught it, keeping a death grip on my collar.

I panted a few times. I didn't think I would be able to free myself from her grip. My eyes settled on her necklace. Lunging forward, I grabbed and twisted it, praying that it would appear the right way. A small scream escaped my lips when it changed into a spear, one end slamming under her jaw. I was relieved when it saw it was the blunt end.

She stumbled back.

Whether she was about to fall unconscious or not, I wasn't sure. As soon as I was free, I gathered what strength I had and ran for the door. On the way, I dropped the spear, focusing on keeping Levi in my arms.

The archer gave me cover, and others stood in the place of the one that had fallen.

A guard caught me as I stumbled through the doors, panting. "Where-where's Teddy?"

"Safe, I promise," the king said, placing a wing on my shoulder. "Farther back."

I nodded, cradling Levi in my arms. I moved behind the others.

"<We believe they've all been dealt with,>" a guard said.

"<Make sure,>" the king said with a nod. He looked at me. "Is he all right?"

"They-they stabbed him," I whispered, resting Levi on the ground. I looked back over my shoulder. My eyes widened as a soldier cried out. "Look out!"

It was the centaur, the one I rescued Ruby from. With the small space, he was able to shove past the guard and run out. With his reach, he thrust his spear into the king's stomach.

"NO!!" I yelled.

The centaur changed into a human, rolled out of the reach of the guards, and grabbed my throat. "Humans make you vulnerable." His eyes shifted Levi.

"No!!" I screamed. I grabbed his face. I don't know what I had done to the first centaur who took my son, but I gritted my teeth and tried it again.

He groaned and tightened his grip, but his hand began shaking.

My heart picked up its pace as if I were given a sudden douse of energy. Clenching my jaw, I kept going, draining what I hoped was just energy.

His head slipped off my neck, and he drooped to the ground.

The guards ran forward and pulled him off. "Your majesty-"

"I got it," I whispered, sitting next to him and sliding my hand over the wound.

Hands reached for me.

"Don't touch her!" Levi snapped, fizzing with electricity. "Crystal-"

"I can't just let him die," I snapped before shutting my eyes. "And you-"

"Crystal!" he snapped, snapping at my hand. He groaned.

I placed my hand on his wound and shut my eyes. I scanned their wounds through my hand, picturing the damage, and began healing it. I rarely used my power, so it very quickly became tiring, my saving grace the energy or whatever I had taken. My eyes began fluttering, and my body involuntarily rocked back and forth.