ch 3

"I'll need to ask my wife about ye proposal..." my pa answered as I berried my face deeper into the back of my brother's tunic. It wasn't a yes but at the same time, it wasn't a definite no. "Why don't ye stay for supper and we may ponder this... proposition then." My father said trying to negotiate.... Trader.

"Ye cannot seriously be considering this!" my brother yelled at our pa. As always, he had come to my recue.

"Lets not make hast with our decisions. It seems like a fair trade. Harmone is of age to wed and he is offering us an overly fair price." My pa tried reasoning with my brother.

"Thanks pa." I said sarcastically. I un-nuzzled my face from behind my brothers back and looked at my father with new eyes. This proved that anything could be bought... even your only daughter.

"Harmone..." my dad said with sad eyes. His short brown hair looked more gray than usual. His skin look more tethered and used like a pair of shoes. His clothes where practically nothing but rags. This man had sacrificed his happiness for ours and I was being a brat and not willing to give up mine to make his sufferings easer.

"I'm going to go help ma." I said as I swiftly turned on my heel. I felt tears start to form in the corners of my eyes but I vigorously blinked them away. I didn't want to get taken away from my home but at the same time, I knew that it would make it easier on my family. I had to choose between what I want and what's better for the people I love.

I pushed open the makeshift wooden door and closed it quietly behind me. I journeyed deeper into the house and to the kitchen. Sure enough, my ma was there stirring the stew that was made from leftover meat that she had managed to save and vegetables from our garden. It was going to be one of those nights where you have to force yourself to swallow the food. I scrunched up my face at the memory of eating it last time she made it.

"Why are ye making that face?" My mom snapped once she saw me. I quickly wiped the look off my face and looked up at her innocently

"I was just thinking about the lad talking to dad... ye know the tax collector." I lied smoothly. I wasn't going to break it to my mom that her food tasted just as fowl as it smelled. She had honey blond hair like me and old tired grey eyes like me and my brother. She had a pointed nose and thin lips. I had my pa's soft nose and full lips.

"Why? What's wrong?" she asked with worry laced into her voice and shining in her eyes.

"He- he wants- pa invited him to stay for dinner." I answered not wanting to talk about the stranger that had the nerve to ask for my hand in return for their debts to be repaid. He had our hands tied. We really didn't have much of an option as much as I hated to admit it.

"What aren't ye telling me?" my mom said sternly. She was a woman that cut striate to the point no matter how forward it was.

"He- ma, he asked for my hand in marriage... in return, all of father's debts would be paid." I said as a tear rolled down my cheek. I was scared. What was going to happen to me?

"Here, ye stir the pot and I will go talk to them." She commanded as she handed me the old wooden spoon and walked out of the house. Surly my ma would come to my recue. She would be on my side.

I stirred the small pot like my mother had told me to. My mind was now at ease. My ma wouldn't send me off with some stranger. She may be crazy at times but she is a reasonable woman. Or so I thought...

First, I heard my mother venture into my room... then I heard her rummaging through my things... but what reviled that my mom had betrayed me was when she came into the kitchen with a small bag packed with my belongings.