ch 8

"Do I have to? Can't I just... stay here" l complained tiredly as four dragon's packed up the camp with haste. I considered helping but I was too comfortable on the rich soil that I was sprawled across so carelessly.

"No, ye cannot just 'stay here'" Moray replied as he carefully started to put various items in brown sacks that attached to the horse.

Who was going to carry the bags now? The horse was left behind at the meadow it was injured and there was nothing anyone could do. We had to do the same to a lot of working animals at the farm. It doesn't even bother me anymore. The first time I saw my dad slit the throat of a mule, I cried for hours but now, it seems like it's a part of life. I didn't like it but it is what it is.

"And why not? I will only slow ye all down. Ye do not even have a horse." I said trying to persuade him. I kept telling myself that maybe if I annoyed him enough and asked a bunch of questions, he would just leave me here. little did I realize how unsuccessful that plan would be.

"I do not need a horse" Moray scoffed. "It was just so that I didn't raise any suspicions among the villagers."

"Then... what are ye going use instead of a horse?" I asked suspiciously.

Looking around at the four men, I realized that everyone had stopped what they were doing to look at me with an astounded look.

This time, the red-headed Clunes answered my question; his green eyes bore into mine questionable. "We turn into dragons. Do ye really think that we need a horse? We can travel faster without one."

"oh." I answered simply as my cheeks started to heat up with embarrassment. I felt pretty ignorant not thinking about the fact they turn into their own form of transportation.

Quickly, they got back to their tasks and piled everything in one big group, seperated by its contents.

"All but one of us will carry five bags each. The lad not caring five bags will carry two bags and Harmone. I will carry five bags and so will Clunes." Edan stated his voice full with authority and knowledge.

"Maybe I don't want to carry five bags." Clunes challenged

"Then ye can carry seven. So who ever carry Harmone just carries Harmone." Edan replied to a shocked Clunes who mumbled and walked off into the thick woods.

"I will carry Harmone" Arthur offered much to my surprise. "I have a little sister so I don't mind listening to all of the complaining." He explained as he watched Moray carefully.

We all nodded in agreement at that. I could be quite annoying at times. I really couldn't be offended by his statement. Being annoying had been my goal, after all.

Being the responsible person Eden was, he rolled his eyes and went after his brother climbing deeper and deeper into the dark woods.

Moray was the first to shift; his black dragon leaned down and nudged my side in warning. He gave me a crossed look telling me to be on my best behavior. The look he have me was almost as stern as the one my betraying mother would give me.

I scoffed at his warning and sarcastically replied, "Yes mother, I shall be on me bestist behavior." He snorted in reply and headed off to round up the bags he was going to carry. Out of the corner of my observant eye, I found author looking at me intensely.

"What?" I asked impatiently. To this day, I will never understand why he would look at me in such a way. His intense eyes held pain, questioning, and anger. The anger wasn't directed at me but I didn't understand who it was caused by?

"I don't believe him." He growled as he glared in Morays direction. "He can't be ye flame... it's impossible."

"Arthur." I said softly with a inaudible sigh. "What is a flame?" I looked up at him with pleading eyes that searched his for much needed answers.