2. THE GRIMSBANE TEXT

Start from the beginning

Lauren walked to the threshold of the room only to see Wyatt's head hanging droopily in his neck. He had no idea of what was going on.

"Ahhh... yes, I drugged him," Verona admitted. Wyatt was an addict and had been to the rehab a couple of times but he lived clean after. But looking at the way his head was drooping and dangling proved that he was not himself.

Wyatt's sun kissed pretty face wasn't his anymore. He was a zombie but with a horrid energy drained ghost inside him. Wyatt had loved her even after knowing about her family. So, if Lauren died, he would know what to do or he would at least know the reason. Lauren had the audacity to stretch her hand outside to touch Wyatt's face. That was enough for Verona to pull her out but something stung her hand that she flinched and as she flailed, she failed to pull Lauren out.

Lauren retracted her hand at the realization of what could have happened. She still was looking at Wyatt. This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to marry him. I didn't want him to die in the middle of all this. Lauren tried hard to keep her tears at bay but her efforts were in vain. Verona pulled Wyatt toward her and held the same knife against Wyatt's neck. After all that had happened in the past few hours, Lauren had forgotten that this was a possibility.

"I'd let him go unharmed if you step out," Verona said with a tone that almost sounded like she hated to do this.

"Your promises don't weigh the same anymore. Let him go." Lauren pleaded. The knife was still stained with the blood of her father.

"Step out or I'll sink the knife in."

Lauren could physically feel as if the knife were against her own throat now. She had to shut her eyes for the reality to sink in for a minute. Her dad practically built the house for her protection and now she had to willingly step out of it to save the love of her life. She was just too weak to feel any rage now. Once she stepped out, there awaited a definite death. She took a step out and she definitely felt that her dad's soul was frantic somewhere near her but invisible. She left the threshold and stood on the porch.

"Let him go. You have me. Just let him go," she said with a throbbing pain in her thigh and her heart decided to jump betwixt the lungs. "Please ask the ghost to leave his body."

"I will." She retracted the knife from his throat. "Just not so soon. I have a visit pending. We're going straight to visit Ashlyn and her husband... tsk tsk my lover."

She pulled Lauren by her hand and the three of them teleported into the night straight to Auroville Villa in a matter of seconds. It was something that Verona could do even when she was pure but only for a few inches.

***

Howard Bookman woke up to a wail that shook his bedroom floor. Howard was what you could call a neighbor for Ashlyn and Lyndon. Lyndon Stone used to be news reporter and now a senator. Quite famous for his looks. Watching the news, surpassing his angular features would require some getting used to. Another wail woke up Howard's wife, Molly.

"What was that?" she asked Howard. "Should we call the cops?"

Another yowl blasted their ears, more animalistic and rawer. They called the cops.

Edric Bookman, their son opened his parents' bedroom, "should we go check on them?"

"Go back to your room," Howard commanded.

"I'm scared," whimpered their daughter, Irsia Bookman. She had come rushing to her parents' room without her blue contact lens. For a girl who was head-over-heels for the color green, it was odd that she hated her sea-green eyes.

"Just both of you stay in your rooms. Cops are on the way. It's almost dawn," Molly said in a pacifying tone for the sake of Irsia. "Edric, take your sister to her room and don't even think about stepping out of the house," she warned.

He gave his mother an annoyed look and went back to his room. He came back relenting and dragged his sister by her arm.

Once Irsia settled in her bed, he said, tartly, "I can't believe you are a freshman in high school and you are still scared of the dark."

Irsia didn't respond to that but kept looking at the closed window of her room. The window looked at Auroville Villa. The house where the senator and his wife lived. She didn't notice Edric walk up to the window. "Don't open it, please, don't open it," she shrieked.

Edric gave a short jesting laughter. "I won't. Go back to sleep." He walked to the door and flipped the light off.

"Edric...." Irsia shrieked again. This time more desperate.

He laughed. A full-on laughter erupted and he flipped the switch on. "That was so funny."

"It's not funny," she was on the verge of breaking into tears. "Can you stay here? Just until the cops arrive."

"Are you crying?" He quelled a laughter, turning on his sister's computer. He just wouldn't admit to stay with her until the cops arrive. Not plainly.

Next morning, it was all over the news that Ashlyn Emerson Stone and Verona Driscoll were murdered by Wyatt Emerson. Wyatt also had injured the senator, Lyndon Stone and Lauren Shine to the point that there wasn't any guarantee that they would make it alive. Wyatt was in jail. The local news announced that a funeral was arranged by Ashlyn's twin sister, Aislyn Emerson.

Rumor had it, Aislyn never visited her brother Wyatt in prison. She wished he were dead. She had even paid the hospital bills for Lauren. The Driscoll family had a hard time believing that their sweet adopted daughter Verona was murdered. Verona was buried in the Driscoll's family crypt.

The saddest and grim news was that Wyatt had killed his own sister who was on her third trimester. He had stabbed her to death. It felt forbidden and repugnant.

End of Author's POV

❤❤