Promise

“no!” I screamed pushed Zayn over. He laughed getting up and accelerated forwards keeping his lead ahead of me. I pressed the buttons on my controller attempting to get ahead of him by throwing my banana in front of him only to have him dodge it last second. I growled trying again with my last banana, this time it caught him and I zoomed past taking my place as first in our race. I jumped up screaming and cheering as Zayn sat on the ground, jaw dropped and starting at the TV.

“no fair! You used a banana!”

“all's fair in the game of Mario Kart sucker.” I laughed walking to the kitchen, I pulled the fridge door open taking out a soda can for me and one for Zayn. My parents both out working or just avoiding being home with me. I handed Zayn his coke taking a seat next to him on the floor.

“so the casting list comes out tomorrow.” Zayn said casually sneaking a glance at me. “when you get the part it will really screw with Necessity. She always get's the lead.”

I smiled shaking my head. “have you noticed the past few days you haven't been bullied as much?”

he nodded with a smiled creeping on his lips. “yeah, all thanks to you.” a red hue grew on my cheeks and I turned away from him to hide it. Zayn pulled my hair back pushing it behind my ear and I turned to him. “you look cute when you blush.” he stated taking his bottom lip in between his teeth. He pulled his hand away from it's place on my cheek but kept his smile on me.

Standing up I offered him a hand. He took it lifting himself off the ground and starting at me confused at what I was doing. “I wanna show you around, you showed me your house I should show you mine!” I smiled.

He laughed. “I've already seen your house, M.”

“you've seen my kitchen and my living room, you haven't seen the rest!” I grabbed his hand pulling him with me. I showed him the dinning room, my fathers unused study, I showed him our bathroom and our guest rooms before I ended in my room. Zayn walked in slowly, his eyes wandering around my plain old bed room. The white walls were bare with only a picture to the side of my door covering it. He looked at the picture of me and my best friend. The day she took me with her other friends to the woods to camp. We were sat on a log laughing about nothing when someone took the photo.

“cute.” he smirked. I rolled my eyes pulling a box off my desk. The box was filled with pictures from my past. Zayn picked up a few looking them over before smiling at me. “you should put them all over the wall.” he voiced moving his hand across the wall.

I laughed shaking my head. “I'll be lucky if I'm still here to put them all up.”

Zayn's smile disappeared as a frown formed. “what do you mean?”

I sat down on my bed crossing my legs. “my dad's in the military, remember? I'll be lucky to be here for 8 months.”

Zayn sat next to me, a hand grabbed my knee. “then lets make it the best 8 months of your life.” he smiled. “and we wont lose touch, you have to swear to it. No matter what happens, you and I will always be best friends.”

his words shocked me, I hadn't thought of us as best friends. But thinking of it, we were. I told him things I hadn't told most people. I spent more time with him than I did my actual family. I trusted him with secrets as he did me. He was someone that I had become so close to in a matter of days. And thinking about it, I didn't want to lose him.

“promise.” I smiled. He smiled back squeezing my knee, he turned away from me as something caught his eye. He jumped off my bed and grabbed my guitar that lay on it's stand, untouched for the past few days.

“you play?” I nodded taking the guitar from him and playing a few chords to prove to him I did.

“play a song for me.” he asked sitting back beside me. I began to play Bruno Mar's Grenade. Zayn quickly caught on and began to sing the lyrics.