The Brazen Trinity

"Wait, there were others that came before me?"

Early in the morning, Y/N stood at a river dock chatting to a well-known face. It was the man who was already conscious of Y/N's power, as well as the existence of the paranormal.

"Did you think you were the second to inherit a power made to protect humans?" The man chortled, his eyes pointed at the river with a casting rod held securely in his hands, "Yet again, it's been a very long time since it's found a deserving successor."

Rather than summoning the teen as he intended to when they last met, he happened to run into Y/N on his way to the creek whilst the latter was out on his morning jog.

"How come no one's ever heard of them?" Y/N inquired as he stood next to the scraggly man, debating whether or not Escanor withheld information from him.

"Probably couldn't unlock their greater potential, thus prohibiting a full connection," He theorized, "Don't sweat yourself, kid. Not a lot of people know about it either. However, you'd be surprised by the big names that once wielded that power of yours."

It wasn't long before Y/N grew attached to his thoughts. The discovery that Sunshine had users excluding both him and Escanor was a huge reveal, and from what this man-made it out to be, it seems like Sunshine discreetly paved its trail through history.

"Could you name one?" Y/N asked, his eyes showing interest in the topic.

"Hmm, Richard the First was one of them. You familiar with that name-!" The unfortunate senior was obstructed by the blatant shouting of one lion.

"You mean the Lionheart?!" Y/N babbled loudly, sealing his mouth as the man shot him a bizarre look, "Sorry...I am familiar with who he is. I didn't think he'd make it so obvious. The nickname I mean...called himself Richard the Lionheart."

"Well, he didn't use it to its absolute potential. All Sunshine gave him was immeasurable strength and the determination to battle," He responded, "He died a few months after using more and more energy which fed through his life force."

Guess that's one mystery solved in the world. Y/N's expression soured at the thought of others that may have suffered from Sunshine's drawbacks, not knowing their body was supposed to grow in unison.

"At least that explains how the gangrenous happened," Y/N broke the silence with a poor joke, which earned him another strange look from the senior, "Y'know...because he died from an arrow wound. Sunshine properly took a toll on him and led him to his death in France."

"You sure know a lot, kid, that's good," He commented, reeling his fishing hook in with no fish in sight, "Just know that even though they wielded a power that could shake the entire Underworld, they were still human."

"Never forget who you're fighting for, Y/N."

―○●○―

"Are you sure about this?"

Back at the outskirts of the academy, opposing Irina was Y/N overlooking a prone Issei who was being treated for his injuries, courtesy of Asia. The blonde often taking small glances up at Y/N who shielded her from Irina's blade, "I mean we don't have to fight."

After making his grand entry, Y/N immediately set his sights on Irina. A mixture of excitement and superiority pumping through his veins as the eyes of those spectating were now on him.

"What? Scared I might embarrass you in front of God?" Y/N argued with a smug face, elevating his fists. Ever since his confrontation against Riser, he's been yearning for another reason to fight again. Even if it meant taking on a Holy Knight chosen by God, so be it.