Chapter 3

She screeched some more before finally leaving in her little rage. I rolled my eyes letting the cashier Jamie, a sweet high schooler know he wasn't in any trouble.

"Just call for me if she shows up again." I told him smiling.

He nodded appearing grateful I wasn't going to yell at him also.

I was about to head back to my sanctuary I called the back office when I spotted my best friend wattling her way into the store.

Her caramel skin tone much like my own was flushed as her caretaker opened the door for her. Usually if a female got pregnant they were assigned a caretaker who had been highly trained by the best shifter doctors in our country.

Care takers were female wolfs who were completely barren and given no chance of ever getting pregnant. Their names had never even been placed on the list. It was actually considered a great honor to achieve such a title.

It took a lot of schooling and effort to even be considered into the program and if you were I'd heard it was the toughest thing any female wolf could do. It wasn't just school work, it was combat training, cooking classes, emergency field healing, driving courses, and even a class on how to sniff out sicknesses in a pregnancy.

Our pregnancy's were always high risk and a million things could go wrong. Our society would not exist without the help of caretakers.

Kara's caretaker Lola was a tall Amazon like red head who had a liking for anything black. It kind of threw me off when she acted so protective of Kara. She was more like a badass warrior princess and not a birthing coach.

Kara waved her off once she shook off the rain, her hair slightly damp. Lola seemed to waver but when she spotted Wyatt she quickly moved to sit with him.
Kara spotting Wyatt too raised an eyebrow as she approached.

"Dang girl I knew Alpha sent a guard with his girls after a meeting but dang, Wyatt? That's like 10 guards in 1. Do you think you have a good chance?" She asked excited.
I hadn't mentioned my new status as the Alpha's mate to her because it wasn't really official. 

The Alpha hadn't publicly declared me as his. Hell he hadn't even called me in the past three days. It was insanely embarrassing. 

Usually if someone found their mate it was suppose to be the best news a pack heard the whole year. There was suppose to be a big party and everyone was suppose to gift the blessed couple with an offering. A mated couple had such a higher chance of getting pregnant.

It was suppose to be the most amazing experience a wolf could go through. 

It wasn't even close to a decent experience for me and it was so humiliating. What was even worse was that I hadn't known he sent guards which every girl after a meeting. I thought I had been special. Obviously I wasn't. 

So I pasted a fake smile on my face and shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know, maybe." 

She threaded her arm though mine and slowly waddled her way to the part of the bookstore where the little cafe was placed. Lola never let Kara eat anything she deemed harmful which apparently was everything Kara craved. I had managed to sneak her some sweets over the months but Lola always seemed to figure it out. 

She could get really mean when it came to her charges. 

I helped Kara sit down her hands constantly rubbing circles over her belly. For one brief second I felt jealousy flare through me. Kara had been so lucky and blessed to get pregnant as soon as she had. 

I'd always yearned to be a mother. Always wanted to watch my belly grow with life. So many girls in my pack had never experienced it and probably never would. When Kara had ran to my house and told me her amazing news I'd been so happy for her. I had jumped up and down and screamed and cried. To have such a blessing of life from the goddess was so amazing. Kara was amazing and I wanted so much to have everything she did.