Prologue

Jay's POV:

The day I hate repeats today. I'm fully awake but didn't open my eyes fearing to start the day. I laid there for a while, hugging a pillow and thinking about the possibilities of what could happen today. Having no other way than accepting the reality, I slowly opened my eyes after thirty minutes or so. My eyes wandered around the room and stopped at the calendar placed on top of the table. The number 24th on that page was circled by a red marker.

I let out a deep sigh. How fast does time fly? It was like yesterday, the last time it came. Two and half years had gone by in a blur.

And each time when it comes, I fall into depression for at least two months. To be honest, the impact of the incident might be lesser than my worries of why it is happening to only me in the entire world.

What sin did I do in the previous life that I'm born with such a curse? This particular question would have run in my mind more than the world's entire population.

I was seven when I first doubted that something was wrong with me. One Friday late evening, my mother sent me to a grocery shop to buy dish wash soap and biscuits. I put the money she gave, in my pant pockets and started walking down the empty street all alone. There weren't many houses in our street and nobody else was passing through at that time.

The night was a little different from the usual. It had an eerie vibe and it looked like a perfect time to do a crime. The familiar road on which I would have walked n number of times seemed a little unfamiliar that day. The sound of the crickets was the only thing I could hear. Fear engulfed me a little and I started running slowly to reach the main road as fast I could.

I stumbled upon a stone but managed to get the balance. Suddenly I noticed that the moon was a little bit different that night. I stopped running to take a good look at it. It was big, round, and greyish blue in color. I remembered dad telling mom that today was a blue moon day.

The night sky was comparatively well lit and less dark than the other nights for the reason being a full moon day. But ironically the sense of fear which I never felt while walking down the street a hundred times earlier was present tonight. Even during the nights where there was no moon, I had no fear. My heart began racing wildly and my stomach churned. Sweat dribbled down my forehead and I had no clue why I was that afraid.

It became so difficult to move even an inch forward. And then there was that head-splitting headache. The reason behind my fear hasn't left me till today.

I caught my head between my palms and sat on the side of the road. Tears flew down my cheeks as the pain was unbearable. I closed my eyes and I could see something happening. I opened my eyes immediately but it shut close again without my control this time.

A glimpse of a fair and a huge giant wheel in the middle of the fair ran through my mind. A small girl's loud shriek, a seller selling dolls in a stall looking at something wide-eyed, and people running on all distances were the next few scenes I saw. In the next scene, the giant wheel was on the floor with an ear-deafening sound. And in the next scene, the whole place was a post-war battlefield and the wailing of the people rang loud in my mind.

I sat on the road for a few minutes astonished and drenched in sweat unable to process what had happened. What would a seven year boy interpret out of it? Since I didn't know what to do, I ran back home without buying anything. I cried and told my mom what happened. She consoled me at that time but did not believe what I told her. She thought maybe I was frightened by a street dog or something and lying because I didn't want to admit it.

Exactly a month later our family went to our native place for vacation. I had already forgotten that incident and was eager to have fun on the vacation. Three days I had so much fun with my cousins and on the fourth day, we all decided to go to the fair, which they had set up for the festival. I was hesitant at first because of the fear that the glimpse of future or dream or intuition whatever it was, had caused in me. But I did not let it faze me much. The thoughts of having fun were higher than the unknown fear underneath my mind.