21, smarter than all

Start from the beginning

"Newt," Daphne called, shrugging. "He's right. We are going to run out of supplies fast if the box doesn't come back up."

"How long can we last?" Jeff questioned

"No one said that. Let's not jump to any conclusions." Newt shook his head and Daphne gave him a look. "We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody has gotta have some answers around here."

Thomas nodded, walking out of the hut before Newt called out for him, "Where are you going?"

"Back into the maze." He replied and Newt and Daphne looked at Trinity and Minho, who rolled their eyes before running after Thomas.

"Daph, you can't become a runner." Newt whispered, making the girl turn to him.

"That's not your decision to make." She repeated. "Obviously I wouldn't go on runs everyday Newt, I'm Keeper of the Med-Jacks, but a challenge every once in a while wouldn't hurt."

"Actually, yes, it would." Newt replied. "You could get stung, you could fall and get hurt."

"Newt, I need to go back into the maze anyways." Daphne shrugged. "We have a dead Griever now, I have to observe it. I can figure it how it works, study it."

"I don't want you going in the maze." Newt mumbled.

"Daph, we need you, we're going back into the maze." Minho peeked his head into the hut, looking at the brunette. Newt sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Daphie, come on." Trinity smiled and Daphne looked at Newt.

"Be careful." Newt whispered, kissing her forehead. "Okay?"

She nodded, smiling at him softly.

-

Daphne's eyes widened when she saw the Griever squashed between the walls of the maze. Trinity gagged at the sight, making the younger sister stifle a laugh.

"That's disgusting." Zart mumbled, Winston and Frypan next to him nodding.

"There's something in there." Minho noticed and Daphne took out a small notebook, beginning to write down notes.

"You mean, besides a Griever pancake?" Frypan added.

"Are you really doing a diary entry, right now, shank?" Winston questioned.

"Trin, help me out." Minho said and the two pulled the Griever out of the wall further. As soon as they did, the leg of the creature moved.

"Interesting." Daphne whispered, scribbling something in her notebook.

"I thought you said it was dead." Frypan looked at Thomas.

"Was it a reflex?" Winston asked, everyone looking at Daphne.

"I mean, it very well could be," Daphne nodded. "I'm still trying to understand they work exactly. They're machines, but they can produce spit, they have digestive systems, they might have reflexes, but also an off switch. They're beyond being AI, so—"

"Daphne, English." Trinity cut her off.

"Yes, it could be a reflex." Daphne whispered.

"Let's try and pull it out." Thomas suggested.

"Everyone get a hand on it. Come on. All right, ready? On three. One, two, three!" Minho counted.

"What the hell is that?" Frypan pointed out.

Minho pulled a piece of the Griever, looking at it. "Interesting."

"Minho, stop acting like you know what that is," Trinity snatched the piece out of his hands and handing it to Daphne. "Now tell us what it is."