21, smarter than all

BY THE TIME DAPHNE MET HER 10th new Greenie, and her and Trinity gave up hope that they would ever send other girls

BY THE TIME DAPHNE MET HER 10th new Greenie, and her and Trinity gave up hope that they would ever send other girls. For the next two years, it was only boys.

Until now. Newt and Gally opened the doors to the box, Newt hopping in as Daphne and Trinity stood near Gally.

"Newt, what do you see?" Trinity asked.

"It's a girl." Newt spoke and Daphne and Trinity looked at each other immediately.

"No way." Daphne whispered, a smile beginning to show on Trinity's face.

"I think she's dead." Newt said and the other Gladers gasped.

"Okay, wait, let's not make any assumptions till Ms. Med-Jack gets down there." Trinity suggested.

"Yeah, darling," Newt looked at Daphne, offering a hand to help her down.

Daphne jumped into the box, bending down to look at the girl. She was pale, some of her dark brown hair covering her face. Pressing two fingers against the girl's neck, Daphne looked up at Newt, "She has a pulse, she's alive."

"What's in her hand?" Frypan asked.

Newt bent down, opening the note. "She's the last one... ever."

He looked up at everyone, a confused look on his face. "What the hell does that mean?"

Daphne jumped slightly when the girl exhaled, sitting up. "Thomas!"

"Do you still think I'm overreacting?" Gally glanced at Newt and Daphne.

Sighing, Daphne mumbled, "That was really poorly timed."

-

Wiping her forehead, Daphne stood in the Med-Jack hut with Jeff while the girl laid on the bed. Newt, Thomas, Minho, and Trinity walked in, the blond asking his girlfriend, "Daph, what's going on?"

"What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?" Trinity questioned, glancing between Jeff and Daphne.

"Hey, we got our jobs the same way you did." Jeff reminded

"It could be for many reasons to be honest," Daphne shrugged. "Dehydration, possible concussion, hyperventilation, blood pressure, her body could still be adjusting from the sudden change in heat—"

Everyone looked at the blue-eyes brunette, who quickly shut up, sighing while Newt smiled at her. "Basically I don't know, which kind of pains me to say."

Newt glanced at Thomas, "Well, do you recognize her?"

"No." Thomas shook his head.

"Really? Because she seemed to recognize you." Trin reminded.

"What about the note?" Thomas asked.

"We'll worry about the note later." Newt replied.

"I think you should worry about it now." Thomas suggested.