Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

I slam the door in her face, grateful to finally be alone. I really can't believe that I just quit from Tech Town, but I'm so glad right now. I know that my parents will be very angry with me again for doing this. Do I care, though? No. I've already disappointed them enough that I'm actually getting used to the feeling. Unfortunately, this is what my life has come to. 

I hurriedly pack my backpack with my folders and books for all the classes I have homework for

I hurriedly pack my backpack with my folders and books for all the classes I have homework for. I'm sure my mother is waiting outside for me, as impatient as ever. She hasn't really been happy with me for a long time, so her patience has officially ended with me. I don't blame her, though. I haven't been the greatest daughter ever. I haven't been the greatest person ever. I deserve it.

For some reason, I don't take the back stairs that lead to the student parking lot like I normally do. Maybe it's because Leo and I shared a moment there once when we were still talking together. Maybe it's something else. I don't really know right now, and I definitely don't want to think about it, either. 

I go down the main staircase, thankful that there aren't that many people around right now. I'm not in the mood to see people right now. Even though I quit my job, I still don't feel happy. I feel so overwhelmed right now with school and my regular life that I barely want to see anyone else.

When I make it to the ground floor, I begin to head toward the front doors when I hear voices coming from the gym. I peek into the gym and silently curse to myself when I see Leo and Janelle chatting together. Now I definitely don't want to leave quickly because it looks like Janelle is making a move on Leo. I assume she's setting up for the science fair because she has a cardboard cutout of what I think is Adam in his mission suit. Ever since their secret got revealed, they have been treated like celebrities here at Mission Creek High School, much to my chagrin. When I first found out that the three Davenports were bionic, I thought that everyone would be intimidated and terrified of them. Apparently, I was wrong about a lot of things.

Their voices echo slightly, allowing me to hear everything they are saying together. I don't like that Janelle is talking to Leo again, but I can't stop her from doing that. Leo and I aren't even together -- we hadn't been together at all. But I still hate that she's holding onto him with those claws of her again.

"Why are you such a stalker?"

I slowly turn around and see Reese, my arch nemesis, standing behind me with her arms crossed over her chest, a sly grin on her face. "Why can't you get a life?" I snap back to her. "Or am I just too irresistible for you to have to revolve your life around me?"

"Oh, I do have a life," Reese says, her grin widening. "It's going to be the lead in the winter play."

It hits me that the winter play is currently in production without me. I got so caught up in trying to cover my feelings for Leo while also trying (and failing) to get evidence about the bionic siblings. I was too stuck in actually having a friend and a guy who I liked to even care about the play. That is definitely a first in my life, and for some reason, I don't even feel bad about it.