Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

“Sorry you can’t come too, Stef,” Damon taunts.

Elena gives Damon a cold look while throwing her bag into the car before she turns back to Stefan.

“Call me if you need anything,” he tells her.

“Oh I’ll take really good care of her,” comments Damon.

Elena gives Damon a pointed look before she leans into Stefan and kisses him. I pretend not to gag while Damon looks mildly disturbed. They both pause for a second to smile at Damon.

“Okay, time to go,” Damon says. He opens the passenger side and climbs in before looking at me. “Remember; keep your eyes peeled for any signs of danger.”

As soon as they are gone, Stefan and I are left standing there awkwardly.

“Now what?” I ask.

“Nothing,” says Stefan. “You can go do whatever it is that you do while I go over to Caroline’s.”

“Aw, and I thought we were going to be working together!”

“We aren’t on the same side, Alayne,” Stefan glares at me. “You can’t prove that you can be trusted so I can’t trust you anymore.”

I pout. “Fine, go do whatever you need to do. I’m going over to Caroline’s.”

“Wait, wh-”

I’m gone before Stefan can continue whatever it was he wanted to say. Soon, I’m standing in front of Caroline’s house, knocking on her front door. No one comes to answer.

“Caroline?” I call out. “Are you home?”

“Aly?” I hear a whisper come from within the house. “I can’t open the door. The sunlight hurts.”

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. “Why don’t you just quickly open it and then run back into the shadows. It’ll only hurt for a second and then you’ll heal.”

I hear Caroline take a deep breath from inside. Suddenly, the door is whipped open but no one is there. I can hear Caroline panting from inside the house though. I take my step to enter the house but find that I am blocked from entering.

“Shit!” I swear.

Caroline’s head peeps out from behind a doorway. “What’s wrong?”

“I haven’t been invited in and I need a living person that resides at your house to invite me in,” I say. “But here.” I toss her a silver ring with a blue stone in the center. “Put that on and you can walk in the sun.”

I watch as Caroline gingerly slips her finger into the ring.

“Are you sure it works?” she asks cautiously.

“It should,” I shrug.

She takes a deep breath and takes a step out into the sunlight. The look on her face is miraculous.

“Oh my gosh!” Caroline squeals. “Yes, yes, yes! I don’t have to be trapped in the dark anymore. Hurray!”

I laugh. “Calm down. Have you fed yet today?”

She stops squealing and looks serious again. “Not yet. Stefan was going to come by and take me hunting.”

“Stefan?” I make a face. “Then where is he?”

“Right here,” a voice says from behind me.

I turn around and annoyingly enough, Stefan is standing there smirking.

“I’m taking Caroline out to teach her how to hunt now,” Stefan says.

I roll my eyes. “Okay, I’ll come with you guys to see how this turns out.”