It felt like as soon as I closed my eyes his phone started ringing loudly, scaring me.

"My fault" He chuckles and grabs his phone. "Hey Ma" He said as he held the phone up to his ear.

I yawned and rolled over onto my stomach to go back to sleep.

"Wait what?" I heard him say, "I'm on my way"

"You're leaving already?" I asked looking over at him.

"My uhh...brother died" Montrell spoke with a confused look upon his face. I could tell he was having a hard time processing the news he just received.

"What?" I exclaimed sitting up.

"I gotta go" He started to put his shoes back on.

"Wait I'm coming with you"

I grabbed my phone and just put on some slides. I couldn't just leave him alone at a time like this. We rushed out of my house and got into the car. I didn't know what to say or if I should say anything at all.

Him and his brother was super close, that was one of his bests friends so I couldn't even manage what he's feeling right now.

When we pulled up to his house there were many cars parked out front. He got out the car quickly and started to head inside.

"Hold on" I got out the car and jogged over to his side. I wrapped my arms around him and just hugged him tightly.

"I'm so sorry" I said softly rubbing my hand up and down his back. I held him in my arms for a little longer before he decided it was time to go inside and be with his family.

As soon as we stepped foot inside everyone's eyes was on him. It's hard to provide comfort to someone when they lose someone who is a major part i. their life. No words will ever be enough.

His mom was sitting on the couch surrounded by family. Montrell approached her and one of the people got up so he could sit down next to her.

"I can't believe he's gone" His mom cried into his arms, "John ain't never did nothing to nobody"

Tears began to well up in my eyes seeing everybody hurt like this. I felt so helpless because there was nothing I could but be here for them.  I recognized one of his cousins so I walked up to her to find out what was going on.

"Do you know what happened?"

She sighed, "Apparently it was a robbery gone bad. They found his wallet and shit a few blocks down from where he was"

"This happened today?" I replied confused.

"Last night" She replies shaking her head "They didn't know who he was until they found his wallet this morning"

I was just in completely utter shock. "That's crazy as fuck" I shook my head.

The gun violence in this city is getting ridiculous. Innocent lives are getting taken and over what? A few dollars? I don't see how muhfuckas sleep at night.

Once his mom stopped crying I decided to go over to give my condolences.

"Hey Ma" I said giving her a hug.