Edward was confused by the gesture, he went to speak, but her disturbingly calm voice beat him to it.

"We need to leave. You need to get home and apologize to your mother," Bella crossed her arms, staring into Edward's eyes.

"Of course," Edward said carefully. But it seemed that the Volturi had other things in mind. He stepped in front of Bella, shielding her from the oncoming vampires.

"Gentlemen," Edward greeted cordially. "It seems that I won't be needing your services after all."

"Aro would like to speak with you," the vampire to the left spoke deeply.

"Absolutely. Bella, why don't you go enjoy the festival?"  Edward suggested.

They are going to force us to go with them, Faelynn whispered in Bella's mind. She grimaced.

Edward's head tilted toward Bella's direction. He could've sworn that he had heard something.

"No, the girl comes with us," the one to the right grinned.

"I don't think so," Edward's voice was now void of any peacefulness.

"Edward, please. Let's not make a scene," the more reasonable vampire pleaded.

"Let's not," Edward seethed, backing into Bella more.

Calm him, Bella, Faelynn pleaded.

Bella placed her hand on Edward's arm, projecting the calming magic around her. His muscles visibly relaxed, and his eyes flickered toward his mate.

"She's smart," the rude vampire mocked.

Bella glanced at the brute, anger flaring up. She knew that her presence exuded magic; a new feeling for them, the way their questioning eyes held her gaze. Surely, they could hear her poor heart hammering in her chest.

"Now, now, there's no need for violence," Alice's light voice called. She skipped lightly to Edward's side, also shielding Bella from view. The way she was so happy in such a situation reminded Bella of Cynthia. "There are ladies present."

The two vampires stiffened, obviously not liking even numbers.

Be prepared, Faelynn whispered.

Once again, Edward flickered his gaze to Bella. He had definitely heard something. Could he finally be hearing Bella's thoughts after all this time?

"Enough!" A light, agitated voice rang out.

A much smaller shadow came forward, clad in the thick, black cloak. It was a young girl, maybe no older than 14. She had pale, blond hair that was cropped short.

Bella assumed she was high ranking, seeing as the other two male vampires stood down, bowing their heads respectfully as she sauntered toward them. Edward lowered his head, acknowledging her rank, as well.

"Aro sent me to see what was taking so long. Come," Jane ordered. And she turned on her heel, not even turning to see if they all followed. Because she knew they wouldn't be stupid enough to disobey.

As they followed the members of the Volturi, Edward and Alice made light conversation.

"Alice," Edward greeted. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see you here."

"It was a mistake on my part. I had to set it right," Alice smiled, for show. However, her vision of Bella replayed in her mind.

Keep it to yourself for now, Edward. She is extremely sensitive regarding that incident, Alice informed.