Five

It was finally time to graduate from the cadet corp, after three long, hard years it was finally time. I stood in my uniform along with the rest of my class, in front of the three Commanders. Commander Pixis of the Garrison, Commander Dawk of the Military police and finally, Commander Erwin Smith of the Survey corps. Shadis stood in front of us, with the three leaders behind them. " I've trained you maggots to the best of my ability for the last three years! I've seen every one of you grow and approve your skills, but only ten of you can make it to the top! And those names are as follows". I listened carefully as Shadis called out my classmates names, smiling slightly when I heard Petra and five and Ouro at seven. " And finally, number one. The person in the top spot is none other than Y/N Arlert!" I stepped forward and saluted.

" I offer the top ten places in the military police, as is tradition! I'll be discussing everyone with the three commanders tonight while the rest of you think over your options and enjoy your graduation. Tomorrow night you will decide where you will offer your hearts!". I smiled as I hit my glass off my friends " We finally did it, we're officially soldiers!" " And all three of us made it in the top ten!" Perta yelled happily. " I cant wait to spend the rest of our lives together in the military police " Ouro said before throwing back his drink. " I'm joining the Survey corps" I spoke up, Ouro spit his drink out and looked at me like I was crazy.

" Why the hell would you throw your life away in the scouts?" " You should know my reasoning by now Ouro. I promised my siblings I would retake our home, I cant do that in the military police. Besides I want to see the world, I want to explore outside of the wall". " Its all trees and grass, and I'm sure your siblings already have a nice new home. Dont throw your life away". " Joining the military police would be a waste of my life, what would have been the point in training for three years if I'm not going to use it! I know what I want to do with my life Ouro! I want to see the world, I want to see the ocean and explore the mountains. I want to have my family safe under a roof. I know what I want, its time you figured that out for yourself".

The next morning was our first day as real soldiers, though we were still known as cadets. I was on wall duty with a few friends from class. I was cleaning out the cannon when Ouro stopped beside me " Y/N do you have a minute?" " What is it Ouro, we'll get in trouble if we're caught not working". " I just wanted to let you know that I thought hard about what you said and you were right. I'm sorry for everything I said last night and I wanted you to be the first to know that I'm joining the scouts too" " What? Really?" " So am I!" Perta smiled as she came over to us.

" But I thought you wanted to join the military police and the Garrison" " They have enough people, it's the scouts that need as many recruits as they can get" Petra smiled. " Besides after three long years, we cant just let you go that easily. We're together till the end" Ouro said and I smiled. I wrapped them in a tight hug " I love you guys so much" " We love you too" Ouro smiled. " Hey! Maybe you can get permission to see your family today before we're sent off!" Petra said and I smiled " I'll go now and ask!". I zoomed down the wall before running up to Shadis, " What is it you want maggot?" " I would like to request permission to see my family before I'm shipped out sir!".

Shadis looked at the clock " You should have plenty of time to see them. What's their names and their location?" " Location unknown sir. Names are Armin Arlert, Mikasa Ackerman, Eren Jaeger and my grandfather sir". Shadis looked through some of his papers and his eyes suddenly widened " Sir?" " I'm sorry Cadet, but you arent going to find any of your family here" " What?". " Your siblings have joined the cadets, and are in their second year. They're actually in my second camp". " They joined the cadets?" I asked shocked " What about my grandfather?" " I'm sorry cadet, but it seems he was sent to the front lines last year. He's dead".

My legs failed on me and I couldn't help but drop to the ground and cry. " No! He cant be dead! He raised me, he was supposed to look after my siblings while I joined the scouts". " I'm sorry Y/N, I really am" Shadis pet my head, " I wish I could have given you better news" I stared at the ground in shock as Shadis called Petra and Oruo to him " Take Cadet Arlert inside, I'm giving the three of you the day off. Look after her while she mourns", " Mourns?". They quickly brought me back to the barracks where I collapsed on the floor and let out a huge scream. " What happened?" Petra asked quietly " My grandfather is dead! He was sent to the frontlines to die!". " What about your siblings?" " They joined the cadets, they're already at the camp".

Petra knelt in front of me and hugged me tight, " I'm so sorry Y/N, you didnt deserve to find out this way". " Let's take her inside, we're getting weird looks" Ouro spoke up " Who cares? Let her cry it out" " Oi! Brats this isnt a funeral" a voice said startling us. Petra and Ouro jumped up and saluted " Captain Levi " they yelled, " Don't tell idiots". I felt a small kick to my side " Oi brat, dont you know how to show respect to your superiors?". " I do, I just don't care" " What was that?" " You have to excuse her Captain. She just found out her family died last year" Petra explained. " I'm sorry to hear that Cadet, but your a soldier now. Alot of people you care about are going to die on you. Hell your gonna watch the people you love die in front of you. But theres a time and a place to mourn and crying on the ground in the middle of the barracks isnt the place for it".

I saw from the corner of my eye as he knelt down beside me, " I truly am sorry for your loss, but how are you going to survive the titans if you do this on the battle field?". I turned to look at him slightly " I'll let you off with a warning Cadet, but next time someone you love dies I want you to be a soldier and work through your job till you can mourn in peace. You got that?" " Yes sir".