Ch.12 - Not A Simple Friday

Start from the beginning

"Alright guys. Settle down, settle down. I know you're all heckling for the start of your weekend--and the sooner you listen up, the sooner we can all run from this place." Mr.Downey leans back against the cleaned chalkboard, crossing his arms across his broad chest. "This is the only homework I'm giving you--and considering this is the end of week two for most of you, I expect no groaning frustration, and papers on my desk first thing on Monday morning from each and every single one of you knuckleheads."

He was wearing a clean cut blue sweater, tight yet professional. Once again having the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, which she was starting to understand was one of his things he does. A sharp v-neck with a white collared shirt underneath. The almost black jeans, and dark purple shoes finishing it off.

"I want a five thousand word essay on why you want to become a writer."

The unavoidable groans of irritation mouthing from the class, well only really about thirty of the two-hundred. Charlotte was not one of the few who protest. She loves an assignment as good as this one. There was only one problem. She hasn't written for close to a month now. She can't seem to break through the current going against her head. She gets distracted whenever she looks at a fresh page. Turning from a used page, full of notes, excitement, thoughts, and turning to the new one, felt quite honestly like a big fat metaphor of her current state.

"I don't want the same crap from each of you because I know I'm not looking at hundred-ninety-three carbon copies. I'm looking at originals, and that's what you're gonna write to me about. What separates you from the rest of the pack? What makes you special? Why is someone gonna wanna pick up your book instead of some other schmucks? Write to me. Tell me."

He sweeps a hand through his fluffy curls, before pushing off the board, licking his lips before he speaks again. "Guess that's it I suppose. Now go, be free. Vanish."

Charlotte hums, watching as everyone cheers in an outburst of chatting, collecting their things. She lazily pushes her things back in her backpack, as if just noticing it was bright blue. My god, it was a horrid colour. Like slushy sh*t. Just awful. Oh yuck.

Note to self: First option: Buy new pack (optimal). Second option: Bleach it (meh). Third option: Stuff firecrackers in it and celebrate the Fourth of July early (fun).

Then it was Mr.Downeys voice again, "Oh sh*t. Hey guys, come by and pick up your criteria sheets!"

She slumps slightly, but she had prepared for this. To, you know, chat to your professor. A thing students did. Just quick, simple. Keep her crush at bay, all is fine.

"Hey sugar!"

Oh god, not now. Just let her go. Leave her alone.

"Hey snooki poof!"

The guys were all waving their arms at her as they were the few rows up. She just ignores them, quickly slipping the straps over her shoulders and wishing them quiet.

"Talkin' to you!"

She was going red, ears blazing on fire, quickly getting from her seat, walking down the steps like she honestly just didn't hear them, sorta relaxed, trying to get out of the classroom because it was Friday, not because she couldn't handle with their comments today.

Today had been good, just fine, she didn't need them ruining that.

She got in line, waiting for her paper when the group of guys came up behind her. At first they were quiet, a small part of her hoping it would stay that way but knowing other wise.

The guy with dreadlocks came up behind her first, nudging as his buddies line up behind him. He poked her, "Now usually I don't do this, not my role, but my friend there thinks you're sexy."