the result of chaos

Start from the beginning

''Okay... Mike, what happened to Josh?'' She asks, taking his freezing hands in his and he shakes his head. ''It got him.'' He admits and she sucks in breath, suddenly feeling sick at the thought. '' What an awful way to go.'' She whispers. He notices how she starts to play with his fingers, brushing over the bandages with guilt and fear.

''What do you think we should do?'' (Y/N) then questions, meeting his gaze.

''We should check the basement, might be someone left down there.'' Mike prompts and she nods, letting their hands connect and guide them down below. She pulls him closer for warmth, the pair getting to the cinema room and she glances up at him. ''How do you rate our chances of survival?''

''I'm trying not to think about it.'' He admits and they come across the start of the basement when a pounding of feet echo down the hallway. Chris, Ashley and Emily come running down, screaming and followed by the shrieking of the monsters behind.

''Get out of here, go!'' Chris shouts, rushing past them and Ashley points, waving her arm. ''Go, run!'' She screams and Emily and Sam joins, following the other two upstairs. Mike's eyes were wide and alert and he pulls for (Y/N) to join them but she brushes him off.

''You go!'' She orders and hesitantly he runs after his friends. (Y/N) turns to the door and a Wendigo jumps down, baring its teeth and she screams, but slams the door shut, locking it fast. ''Oh shit!'' She breathes, backing away and making herself join the others upstairs, loud banging on the wood behind her.

(Y/N) clambers the stairs two at a time, slowing down to a stop a couple of paces ahead of Mike at the sight of a Wendigo on the light dangling from above. ''Don't move... don't fucking move a muscle...'' Mike grits through his teeth. He wanted nothing more than to take her, keep her shielded from the horror and she stares at it in fear as it snarls.

It notices the other creature's movements that had climbed up out of the basement. They face one another, battling it out in the centre of the room. One throws the other to the stairs by the foot, smashing them and swings it to the fireplace, breaking a gas pipe in the process.

Mike glances at the gas and then to a lightbulb, slowly turning his head to the light switch. (Y/N) had been following his gaze and his eyes land on her, making her nod in agreement. They turn their attention back to the fight of two jumping at each other, one overpowers the other, smashing its head on the floor and then decapitating it.

The (H/C) gently walks back, the wood under her creaking and attracting the attention of the triumphant Wendigo and it steps towards her. It allows Mike to slowly walk to the light bulb and he wraps his hand around it, squeezing it until it breaks and he shakes the glass off. Out back, Chris had managed to slip out the back door.

The monster stakes over to Mike and (Y/N) bites her lip, her heart thumping. ''Hey!'' She shouts and it turns, screeching at her and stops in front of her, screaming in front of her face; Ashley had also escaped. Mike watches in horror when it turns away and she runs over to the pillar, slamming her back into it.

Breathing heavily, she leans her head back. The Wendigo's face stops beside her own and she can see it out of her peripheral vision and the shriek deafens her. Another joins and it's attention is ripped away from her to it and Sam manages to leave.

(Y/N) glances out to Mike, who was terrified for her but she gives him a small smile. For some reason, he knew she could handle this and so he nods, stepping backwards. She takes the chance to run towards the wall and this time it comes closer to her than before.

Her eyes water, her lips parted to allow for small, quiet breaths to escape her. She can see the jagged teeth, dripping with saliva and the raw of its skin and it turns, the Wendigo's face mere inches from hers. She grimaces, the image of Mike the one thing she wanted to see again and the taste of his lips lingering. Her face wets with a few tears and it screams, making her flinch slightly, but not enough to give her away.

The Wendigo saunters away and (Y/N) sprints, pushing herself to go faster. It jumps for her and the other Wendigo grabs it. It's clawed fingers were mere inches from her hair and she just manages to catch the light switch, flicking it down.

The lodge instantly catches light. The explosion sends her flying into the snow, where each of her friends sat, watching the blaze engulf their nightmare.

(Y/N) was lying on her stomach, groaning from the impact. She had gained a new scratch across her head, the blood trickling down to join the dirt and the dried up patches. Mike runs over to her, gently pushing her onto her back. His hand cups her face and he brushes the snow off, smiling in relief when her eyes groggily open.

''You know - I feel the exact same way.'' She whispers and he frowns. ''What?''

''The sanatorium. Munroe, I like you too.''

He stares down at her, realising what she meant and jokingly pushes her. ''Really? Really, Riley, after everything. I honestly thought you were just kissing me for the fun of it.''

''Hey, come on - '' (Y/N) pouts, wincing as she sits herself up and he moves back to her, helping her. '' Everyone made it out safe.'' She states, looking around at Sam and Emily checking each other over for severe wounds and Ashley and Chris hugging. What she didn't know, was somewhere across the landscape, Matt and Jessica had reunited and were also alive - damaged but alive.

''I never said I like you.'' Mike suddenly says and she looks at him. ''I think I'm falling for you.''

(Y/N) laughs, but realises he was serious and she kneels in front of him, grabbing his jacket. ''You know love is an appropriate word.'' She whispers, pulling him close, their lips mere inches away. His eyes flutter down to them, chapped and almost blue and she smirks.

She runs a finger to his lips, pulling it down slightly how she did during their snowball fight that seemed a million miles away and he smiles. ''I love you (Y/N) Riley.''

And with those words, their lips meet in a hungry passion. Mike grins into it, his hands gripped tightly on her waist to pull her closer. After all his effort, the chaos he wanted nothing more than to be a part of was here in his arms and through everything, he was stronger than ever.

KEEP GOING AFTER FOR AN ALTERNATE ENDING