stranger

The room was silent, or at least it was to her

The room was silent, or at least it was to her. Chris was rambling on to the other two about the events occurring in the shed. Sam takes a sideways glance at (Y/N), concerned for how silent their normally confident friend has become.

She was staring blankly at her hands. They were rough and cold from the harsh winter snow and she seemed intent to watch them shake slightly. On her mind, she was grimacing at the words Josh spoke about her.

There's a sudden scream, jolting (Y/N) back into their delirious reality. There's banging of fists on the door; more shouting from outside. "Let me in! Let me in!"

"Is that-?" Ashley starts and Sam nods. "It's Em!"

"Let her in! Quick!" Chris says and the four of them run to the door.

He is quick to open it, making Emily fall to the floor and scramble to get away from the outside. "Shut the door! Oh my God-- shut the door!"

Ashley and Sam go either side and drag her further inside, hauling her up to her feet. They lead her back into the room, gently placing her down on the seat. The two girls sit either side, Chris standing in front and (Y/N) sits a distance away.

"Em, are you alright?" She questions, drawing her legs up to her chest.

"I didn't think that I'd make it -" The girl admits and Chris chuckles slightly. "You were screaming bloody murder."

"Are you okay?" Sam asks. "You look totally wiped-" Ashley admits.

"There was something-" Emily starts. "Something's out there-"

"Where's Matt? Did you guys split up?" Ashley interrogates, but gets ignored by Emily's frantic admission: "A monster. It's a monster!"

"What are you talking about?" Chris is just as confused as everyone and she glares at him. "I said, there is something out there!"

"Like what?" Ashley looks between them, her eyes wide with fright and (Y/N) shakes her head with a comforting smile.

"Ash, relax... it was Josh, it was all Josh-" She reassures and Emily shakes her head. "No, no no no listen to me-"

"We got him tied up, he can't hurt you."

"No it was after me. And it wasn't human."

"Em, can you tell us exactly what happened?" Chris takes a more soft approach and she takes a steady breath. "I am trying to tell you. We were climbing up the tower and it fell. The whole tower just fell! Right into the mines."

"Whoa whoa whoa, what mines?" (Y/N) quizzes, a frown plastered on her features.

"There are these mine shafts all over, running under everything, when the tower fell we ended up down there."

"I don't understand, the tower fell?" Ashley repeats.

"How did it fall?" Sam asks.

"Wait Em - where's Matt? Is he okay?" Chris repeats from before. The questions all come flooding at once but at the sound of his name, Emily's eyes flame, burning with anger.