Chapter 1- Departure (Rough Morning)

"Can I go now?" "No. Finish that chapter." Lavi huffed, his eye skimming the words quickly, pretending to read but not really. He was way too agitated to concentrate. Focusing on the tiny print was unnerving and he felt like chucking the book across the room but Gramps would probably hang him if he did. So he contained himself and fell silent again. He finished the chapter after another 30 minutes of excruciating reading and slammed the book closed, dust puffing out from between the pages. Bookman looked up from his own book with a raised brow, "done?" "Of course," he chirped, standing and stretching with a groan, "now can I leave?" "Drop by Komui's office to get the report and then you can leave. Don't forget you're pack." "Yeah, yeah, see ya later, Gramps!" He waved and exited the library with loose muscles. He strolled down the hall with his arms folded behind his head and his eye watching his steps. He stopped by the science division and Komui's office to grab the report and read through the papers as he headed back to his room to grab his pack. 'Apparations'? His eye widened as he read the comments. 'Ghosts'? He shivered. And he was going to do this alone? He sighed. Why couldn't Allen come on the mission with him...or Lenalee...or (regrettably to say) Yū? Nah, Yū would probably hit him or ignore him. He pouted and scrunched his nose as he slapped the folder closed and entered the room, snatching up his bag and changing into his exorcist uniform, pulling on the boots with some difficulty before pulling his bandana up around his head. He strapped the hammer's harness around his thigh before heading out, pack over his shoulder and report folder hidden inside.

He got to the train station at dusk, since he took a detour through the market in the town to grab some food for the ride. He found a good seat and dropped his bag on the floor behind him before leaning back and looking out the window. Trees trees, and more trees. He turned his face away and closed his eye. This would be a long trip. All the way to Spain...

He relaxed his muscles. Might as well sleep through most of the travel. Or read. He had a couple books in his bag with him but he second guessed his eye capability of squinting at anymore fine print so he brushed the possibility away. Ugh. The train hadn't even left yet and he was already eager to get off. He leaned forward and rubbed his eye, which was starting to burn. 'I need to sleep, but I can't relax enough' he thought quietly to himself with a frown. 'Maybe if I lay down,' he stretched out across the seat and used his arm as a pillow, tucking the other one securely around his stomach. Now it should be good...and before he could finish the thought, he had already sunk into oblivion. The last feeling was the jolt of the train and the sound of the engine pumping to life. Off we go, off we go...