18. Tasting Freedom

Começar do início

<~Marching on proud~>
<~Turn it up loud~>
<~'Cause now we know what we're worth~>

Since Julie and Luke were in charge of the next prechorus, I remembered my promise. I spun on my heels and dragged the microphone stand to move towards the guy bouncing next to the drummer. His eyes and shoulders were tightened, but he relaxed into the usual grin once I squeezed his shoulder. I would've rather squeezed his hands, but it was too busy playing the magnificent melody.

<We know we can make it we're not falling under>
<Close my eyes and feel my chest beating like thunder>

<~I wanna fly~>
<~Come alive~>
<Watch me shine>

Reggie and I jumped on the beat drop. It was his regular move, but he always insisted I did it with him all the time. Today, I fulfilled his wish. Alex and him did the lower harmonies while the duo and me sung the lyrics.

<~I got a spark in me~>
<~Hands up if you can see~>
<~And you're a part of me~>
<~Hands up if you're with me~>
<~Now 'til eternity~>
<~Hands up if you believe~>
<~Been so long, and now we're finally free~>

I was so into the song (and staring into Reggie's beautiful face) that I forgot how many people were cheering and applauding in the small venue. All that matters is that I was having fun with the ghosts and human closest to me.

<~I got a spark in me~>
<~Hands up if you can see~>
<~And you're a part of me~>
<~Hands up if you're with me~>
<~Now 'til eternity~>
<~Hands up if you believe~>
<~Been so long, and now we're finally free~>

We were all jumping around the stage— well, Alex couldn't, but I'm sure he's doing it on his mind. And, as it turns out, Reg and I are not the only ones doing the 'will they won't they' tango. Oh, if you could've seen his eyes in person, you'd understand. Our single trio grinned at each other, noticing the love arrow struck perfectly on our guitarist's heart. And Julie's too.

<I got a spark in me>
I got a spark in me
<And you're a part of me>
And you're a part of me
<Now 'til eternity>
Now 'til eternity
<Been so long, and now we're finally free>

They were sharing each other's mic, the equivalent of trust and love in the music industry. In my books, it was the first step into first base. If he was not dead, I'm a thousand percent sure they would've kissed at this point. Julie separated to hit those wonderful high notes she does.

<~I got a spark in me~>
<~Hands up if you can see~>
<~And you're a part of me~>
<~Hands up if you're with me~>
<~Now 'til eternity~>
<~Hands up if you believe~>
<~Been so long, and now we're finally free~>

The last part were a bunch of woah-oh-ohs and the combination of different riffs. Luke kneeled rock-style into the crowd, and for that reason I considered crowd surfing for an instant. Instead, I chose to dance in front and center infront of the pouting Carrie and the Glittery Girls.

<~Been so long, and now we're finally free~>
<Finally free>
<Yeah>

The guys and I proudly pushed our instruments aside for the famous bow. When we disappeared, the crowd gasped and got more excited than before.

"Thank you. We're Julie and the Phantoms. Tell your friends," Julie said into the microphone. She got off stage, hugging her best friend next to the bar.

"You were incredible!" Flynn congratulated.

Reggie was with an elbow resting on the table, but his free hand was brushing against mine. "Yeah, we were."

"Hey, you overcame your nerves. That's great!" Although we were both sweaty, we hugged and he spun me around on his arms once.

"I owe it all to you," he said when he let me go. My brother began fake gagging, so I just kicked him on his ankle. While he grunted, I showed an innocent smile to Reg.

I didn't notice how Carrie and the Glittery Girls were talking to someone else because I was focused on our own little group. We had done our very first official show, and people loved us! We were congratulating each other like there was no tomorrow.

Luke's voice interrupted my sprinkler celebratory dance. "Hey! Hey! Whoever Carrie was trying to impress is coming this way."

The woman he was referring to wore a khaki-colored suit and a big, golden necklace dangling from her burgundy shirt. "She looks all business." Unconciously, the six of us straightened our backs, even though we, the ghosts, realized a bit too late she wouldn't be able to see us anyways. 

"Wait. Who should do the talking?" Reggie inquired. When we all gave him a confused look, it dawned on him. "Right. Julie, Julie."

"You got this," Luke encouraged. I wanted to tease him, but it would unfocus Julie from the crucial conversation.

The woman fixed her hair before approaching us. Her heels clicked against the wooden floor. "Hi, I'm Andi Parker, and I would—"

 "Julie!" Just when they were about to stretch hands, Julie's dad was next to the stage. Oh no. Everyone had stopped talking, or at least that's what it seemed to me. 

Her face turned from the brightest smile into pure shock. "Dad."

He crossed his arms, a stern look following him. "It's time to go." Andi frowned, switching glances between the family.

"This is not good," I whispered. Well, so much for our self-proclaimed fame.

·¯·¸¸·¯·¸¸¸·¯·

Author's note:

Hiii, sorry for the wait (and the somewhat short chapter), but I'm back for a long time... I think. I finished the semester, so hopefully I'll have more motivation and time to write. 

~ Winter

P.S. We're closing on the 9 month mark since the airing of the show and there's no signals for a second season... I'm getting very worried. What's going on, Netflix? *cries for 25 years*