Bonus Scene

Kate

Five Years Later

This whole thing feels like deja-vu, I thought.

I was sitting on the floor of the nursery, patiently teaching the twins how to speak German. It wasn't going well. Despite giving me their attention for the first few days, today neither of them wanted to focus. They were bored, and restless, and wanted to play outside.

"Repeat after me," I said for the tenth time. "Wo ist..."

These weren't the twins Allie and Barry, of course. No, these were the new twins: Christopher and Danielle. The twins I had given birth to four years ago.

It was Braxton's idea to name them the way we did. Alexandria, Bartholomew, Christopher, Danielle. A, B, C, D. The latter pair had been conceived on our trip to Paris, and they must have absorbed some of the culture during the experience because they had all the fiery personality of Parisians.

I didn't know who was the father. Christopher had strawberry-blond hair, while Danielle's was deep red. But Danielle had blue eyes, and Christopher's were sea-green. I was fairly certain their father was Mathias or Adam. Or both, potentially. Fraternal twins came from two separate eggs, so each egg could have been seeded by a different man.

It didn't matter, though. Not really. All three of my husbands love the new twins the same. Adam and Braxton even changed the name of their firm because of it, from ABK Capital to ABCD Capital. It was a tremendous pain in the butt to rebrand the entire company like that, but they insisted on it.

Danielle was playing with her long auburn locks. "I said repeat after me. Wo ist das auto? Where is the car?"

"I want to play with cars," Christopher said, running over to the toy chest to retrieve a toy car. "I'm sick of languages."

I sighed and put down my lesson plan. It was tough to keep a four-year-old's attention for long. And we had been practicing for forty minutes now.

"Okay, I think it's time to break for lunch," I said.

"Yay!" the twins said, jumping up and running out of the room.

Our new cook, a grandmotherly Chilean woman named Maria, was fantastic at her job. Claudette had finally retired two years ago, and was spending her time traveling around the world and eating delicious, exotic food. The last photo she had sent was from Switzerland, where she and a grey-haired man were snuggling up by the fire drinking hot cocoa.

Still, I missed her though. And as much as he pretended not to, I knew Mathias did too.
While the twins ate, I gazed out the window at the city. It was a beautiful summer day, and lower Manhattan was glistening in the sun. The tall Nash Capital building stood out more than the other buildings, since we had lived there for several years. We had finally moved to this building once ABCD Capital was up and running. The penthouse here was even larger and more luxurious than the last one.

And it was filled with more love, too.

"Hurry up and finish your sandwiches," I told the twins. "We're going to have an adventure outside today."

The twins squealed excitedly and wolfed down the rest of their food. Then we went downstairs and met the bodyguard by the front door. Nelson had been promoted to head of security for ABCD Capital, so there was a different bodyguard to walk with us today.

A photographer was waiting outside the building. She took a couple of photos, then kept her distance as we began walking through the city. I was used to it by now. That was the price of being married to one of the most famous billionaires in New York City.