Chapter 4

In the kitchen I watched Creed sprinkle some cheese over a slice of bread. He was making grilled cheese sandwiches and something was fascinating about watching him go about the innocent task normally as if he didn't hunt supernatural creatures for a living.

"You staring," he said flipping a sandwich so that it could toast on the other side.

"I don't know it's hard to imagine a monster hunter making a grilled cheese for me."

The corner of his mouth quirked in a subtle smile. "Don't get used to it princess. I'm only doing it because you were almost killed because of me." He plopped a plate with two sandwiches on it in front of me. "Bon appetite."

"Thanks." I rolled my eyes. "Is it easy for you to walk around and act like you don't care about anything or anyone?" I asked and took a bite out of the sandwich.

A hint of a dark smile played on his lips while amusement shone in his eyes. He folded his arms and leaned back on the counter behind him. "Who said it was as an act?" I chewed the piece of food in my mouth slowly. My jaws felt tender.

"So you don't care about Liam?" I asked and he shrugged while he watched me eat, making me feel self-conscious.

"No," he answered stiffly, "I don't care about Liam. We hunters we aren't supposed to have any attachments."

"You lying," I narrowed my eyes at him and he shook his head. "What about May?" I asked and the cynical smile disappeared instantly.

He cleared his throat and stood up straight. "None whatsoever."

It was hard to believe considering the way Liam and May felt about him. If he couldn't love his brother and sister then how could he love anyone else.  "Then how do you expect to love me?"

His eyes widened and I knew he was unprepared for a response like that. "You should eat your food it's getting cold," he said and walked over to the sink to do the dishes.

I ate in silence feeling kind of impressed with myself that I managed to silence him. I couldn't wrap my head around Creed he could turn on a limb kind one second and then brutal the next.

It's the things that these people did that confounded me. Dallas does a good deed by adopting six children but then she turns them all into merciless monster slayers.

Creed could save my life and then lock me in a dungeon. He could kill an innocent family of creatures and then tell bedtime stories to a frightened little girl. The problem with them was that there was no in-between. They were either kind or ruthless. It was a flip of a coin and you had to cross your fingers and hope luck was on your side when the coin landed.

"You right I do care about my family despite how hard and cold they may all seem at first," he started, and when I looked at him his back was to me as he continued to wash the dishes, "and as far as loving you goes. I'm not sure if I'd be able to. I've been with women before and I've never loved them. The only reason I'm keeping you here is that it's what my family wants." I couldn't say that I didn't feel a little offended by his words. "Fourteen days is not enough time for me to fall in love with you."

It was true. Fourteen days didn't seem like enough time to get someone as hard as Creed to fall in love. I didn't know how to even begin. What made a person fall in love was time.

"You should try," I said and stood. "Your family needs you." I took my plate over to the sink and dropped it in the soapy water before washing my hands. I could feel him watching me again and I felt conscious every time he did that. The way he stared was like he could see right through me like I was a book laying open and he didn't hesitate to read freely.