Chapter Fifty-Three

Start from the beginning

"It's not like I planned it. I went to grab some water last night and spotted her sitting out here alone in the middle of the night. Being the friend that I am, I went to check on her and found out she was on the phone with Jesse," Sam went on to explain.

"Jesse? What the fuck did he want?"

Sam let out a sigh. "I didn't hear the whole thing, but she filled me in on it all. He was just spewing some bullshit and acting like a complete dumbass. I seriously don't think that idiot has an ounce of remorse for being a complete bastard. He did have every excuse he could manage to throw at her, though. God, I wanted to drive over to him and get a few more punches in again."

I shook my head. "If you ever feel like doing that again, let me know so I can tag along," He and I both chuckled. "So, what exactly were his excuses?"

Sam went on to tell me a bit about what he said, and it only infuriated me more.

"Something changed about him, or he's going through some fucking early ass midlife crisis because he's only digging himself into a damn hole that once he gets to the bottom, no one will be left to help him out of it. The fact that he could so easily mess up what he had with Vee on top of just send a massive fuck you to us in order to get in with the most self-centered people on the fucking planet."

Sam nodded. "As far as I'm concerned, the fucker can go be miserable all he wants as long as he doesn't bring one of us down with him. If this is how he plans to go, then I'm glad Vee got out when she did, so she doesn't have to deal with his bullshit anymore."

"Seriously though," One of my brows slowly raised. "So, there isn't anything going on with you two, is there?"

Sam's forehead creased at my question. "With who?"

"You and Vee," I wondered as he quickly shook his head.

"What? No...no," He insisted. "We're just friends. Besides, she and Jesse just broke up."

"And now you're having sleepovers and little moments on the beach," I added.

Sam began to roll his eyes. "I was just being there for her as a friend, and no moments were being had."

A slight smirk appeared on my face. "Okay, if you say so."

"Her heart was just broken, and I'm not looking to a rebound. She needs to heal from the pain Jesse caused her before..." He stopped.

"Before what? You make a move?" I teased as he punched my shoulder.

"Shut the fuck up. I won't be making a move."

I softly chuckled. "I'm just joking around. We all need to be there for her but just know that sometimes you can't control your feelings...sometimes they appear out of nowhere, and it's nearly impossible to ignore. I, for one, should know that."

Sam sighed. "We're just friends, and that's that. Scar's been making you watch too many shitty romance movies lately, hasn't she? You're starting to sound like a girl."

I narrowed my eyes, huffing out a sarcastic laugh. "Just wait till you find that one girl... you'll fucking do whatever the hell she wants just to make her happy, even if it means watching the Notebook five hundred times. That's when you know you found the one. When their happiness is what matters most."

"Was that a quote from the Notebook too?" Sam joked as we both laughed. "No, but in all seriousness, I don't think she's out there, man. I tried the whole relationship thing once before, and I ended up fucked up in the head."

"You sure that's not just the norm for you?" I asked him in a teasing manner. "Jokes aside, whoever it was wasn't the one I'm talking to you about, but there will be a moment when you realize it. You probably won't see her coming, but when she does...that's when I will get to tell you I told you so. Everyone deserves happiness, including you."

Sam gave me a genuine smile. "How did I just end up in a therapy session with you?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, but just call me Dr. Phil from now on."

"Get the hell out of here," Sam laughed as I put a headphone in my ear.

"Just remember what I said," Were my last words before he went back towards the house, and I finally was able to start on my run.

~~

After I was finished up, I made my way back into the house where Luke and Jackson were sitting around the table as Wolfie and Aunt Sawyer were making breakfast.

"Good morning, Nix," She spoke sweetly.

I smiled, walking over to the fridge for water. "Morning."

Jack grimaced. "You smell like a fucking rotten fish or something."

"Hey, we know you guys don't talk very clean but can you at least try to make it seem like we didn't raise a bunch of awful mouthed sailors once in a while?" Wolfie spoke up, flipping a pancake.

"Sorry, let me try again...Nix, you smell like the rotting corpse of some type of sea life."

Once I twisted the cap of the bottle, I turned towards him. "That's because I accidentally stepped on washed-up fish while on my run," I chugged the water. "I hosed off my shoes outside and let them air dry.

Luke chimed in. "You didn't want to hose yourself off maybe too and stay outside? You brought the stench with you."

"No, because then I wouldn't be able to do this," I lunged for them towards the table as they flew out of their chairs.

"Get the fuck away from me with your fish-smelling ass," Luke yelled out before running out of the kitchen.

Wolfie sighed, shaking his head as Aunt Sawyer came up to wrap her arms around him. "Well, what did we expect, babe? Us parents with the mouths of a sailor ourselves were always bound to raise younger sailors."

"Remember when we would help dad with the cars when we were younger, Nix, and when he got frustrated, he would say, "what the shit," Jackson came back inside, followed by Luke.

I nodded with a smile. "Then one time at dinner when you I think five years old, Mom was trying to get you to eat your carrots and then told you that you couldn't go outside to play until you were done, so you said, "what the shit, mom."

Jackson nodded. "Mom about disowned both me and dad that day."

Everyone started to erupt in laughter.

Aunt sawyer chimed in. "Oh my, you kids have made it so life never had a single dull moment."

Before I went upstairs, I washed my hands quickly, grabbing a couple of pieces of bacon and a water for Scar so she could take her medicine without an empty stomach.

Once I walked into the room, she was still fast asleep, so I placed the bacon and her pills on the bedstand just in case she woke up while I was in the shower.

I took a fast one, hoping to get rid of the gross smell that lingered on my body from the run. After I was done, I dried off, wrapping a towel around my lower half, and walked into the room.

"Holy shit," Scar spoke up from the bed with a smirk on her sweet lips. "You should go back and then walk in again, but this time without the towel."

I raised an amused brow. "After marking off two things on the list just last night, I thought you would want a break."

"Baby, it's because of last night that I'm ready to check off the next thing on the list," Scarlett bit her lip as I walked towards the side of the bed she was on. "Plus, the bacon gave me some energy."

She glanced down at the empty paper plate and half drank water bottle before my eyes found hers, letting out a small chuckle. "I'm happy you enjoyed it."

"I did. Thank you, Nixie," She spoke in a soft voice.

The back of my hand gently brushed against her cheek before sliding behind her neck. "You're welcome, Shortcake," I said before slowly leaning down until her plump lips were on mine.

My tongue slid between the seam of her mouth as a soft moan escaped her. She parted her lips just before I pushed through, and our tongues fought for dominance until she happily gave in.

Her hands slowly ran up to the top of the towel that was still wrapped around my waist as she pulled away for a moment, looking up at me with eyes full of need and desire. "So, what was next on that list of yours?"