Forbidden Fountain of Foreverglades!

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," I said, taking the old metal keys.

"I hope you enjoy the Conquistador Inn." He bowed and headed for the pool.

I made my way to the room. It was small, but pretty. Scrooge was lying face down on the bed with the pillow pulled over his head. There was also a small wooden nightstand under the window that was lined with mesh with a view of the pool. I sat beside Scrooge on the bed.

"Did you pick the lock?" I asked.

He mumbled a response into the mattress. I was amused that he still seemed to hate kids after as many as he practically raised. I rubbed a hand across his back. He melted at the touch. It was a sweet moment until a group of teens started chanting outside our window.

"Youth is wasted on the young," Scrooge grumbled.

"Come on, it's only a week and I am sure at least some of them have been working hard. Besides, we all need a little time to blow off steam," I said.

"At their age, I couldn't afford to blow off steam. I had to use it to turn my Uncle Porthole's steamboat because I had a job," Scrooge grumbled and I held in a laugh.

"I know, but you have to admit you were pretty reckless when you were younger." I rubbed his shoulders, and he relaxed some more. "This is their version of robbing a train with a broken foot."

He scoffed to himself. I continued for a minute, not knowing what else to say to get the point across, then I stood.

"As much as I would like to continue this, I need to bathe."

"No," he whined.

"I'll be back." I kissed his head and walked to the bathroom.

There was a small room with green walls, light pink tile, and a claw-foot bathtub. There was only cold water. I washed quickly and got ready for bed. I opened the door. Scrooge was snoozing lightly. I thought about laying down but I still had little energy left. I snuck out of the room and down the hall. I knocked on Donald's door. There wasn't an answer. After a few more tries, I head back down the hall. A dude bumped me and his smell almost knocked me down.

"Sorry," he mumbled. He looked me over. "Woah! Hi. I'm Jay. We've got a party going on the floor up. Want to join us?"

I went to decline but then thought better of it.

"Have you heard about the Fountain of the Foreverglades?"

"Who hasn't?" He took my hand in his clammy one. He led me down the hall and up another flight of stairs. "It's only the most famous story in this place."

He pushed a door open that had been propped open. A cloud of smoke hung in the air. Several people sat on crappy couches, drinking and laughing in what appeared to be a living room. There was also a small kitchenette and two different doorways that led to different bedrooms. Everyone went quiet as I stepped in.

"Hey, guys! This is my new friend." He wrapped an arm around me. "She wants to know about that old fountain myth."

"Oh, she needs to talk to Abril. Abril!" a guy called. "Want a smoke?"

He offered me whatever he was holding. I shook my head. He shrugged and looked over his shoulder. A green feathered girl in black leather walked in from a bedroom, looking confused. He waved to her. She sat beside us. She looked beyond stoned and was still holding a blunt.