Dear Hwang Yeji

2021

As Ryujin wander around her pretty and colorful house, memories from her school life started flooding her mind.

"The fourth most important thing to me are my books." Ryujin wrote down on her diary while staring at pictures from years ago.

"The third is this pretty ring." Ryujin wrote and started staring at her expensive wedding ring.

"The second are my pretty, annoying, and gay friends." Ryujin wrote and let out a chuckle while reminiscing about her friends.

"And the most important is you, my love." Ryujin wrote down and let out a big smile while staring at a photograph.

--
2003

"Mom, I'm home!" The 10-year old Shin Ryujin shouted out of excitement as she entered their lovely house.

Ryujin's mother dashed her way to her daughter. "Perfect timing. A beautiful family recently moved to a house next to ours." The woman said and let out a smile.

"Really? are they nice?" Ryujin asked out of curiosity.

"They are very kind. I talked to the beautiful lady. Her husband recently passed away and she has a daughter who's the same age as you."

Ryujin let out a big smile. "Really? can I meet them today?"

"Of course. Be nice to them, okay?"

"Okay!"

--

*Knock knock*

A girl slowly opened the door. "What is it?"

A giant smile formed on Ryujin's face. "Hwang Yeji? I didn't know you live next to our house." Ryujin said and a hint of excitement is seen on her face.

"Who are you?" The cat-eyed girl asked.

"Shin Ryujin. I'm your classmate! I'm the book lover. I-"

"Okay. Stop talking. I don't really care that much. I'm busy with homework. I have to go now." Yeji said and immediately closed the door.

Ryujin let out a confused face. "H-hey, I'm not done talking." Ryujin weakly said and let out a pout.

--

"Hey, what are you reading?" Ryujin's friend, Jeon Heejin, asked and sat down.

"It's a book that I love so much. I have a giant crush on the female lead." Ryujin said and kept on reading. "She's beautiful, intelligent and cold. So attractive!" Ryujin said with a big smile.

The small rabbit let out a confused face. "You have a crush on someone that doesn't even exist?" Heejin said and rested her head on her hand.

Ryujin let out a smile at her confused friend. "Yes. I mean, she sounds pretty. It says here in the description that the main character have cat-like eyes. That is so pretty." Ryujin said and started thinking about her fictional crush.

"You're so weird. Anyways, I think you just described one of our classmates." The rabbit said and let out a small chuckle.

"Who?"

Heejin pointed at one of their classmates. "Her. Hwang Yeji. She have fierce-looking eyes, she's smart, pretty, and cold." Heejin said that made Ryujin think.

Ryujin started staring at the cat-eyed girl who is sitting all by herself and doing homework. "Heejin, I-I think you're right." Ryujin said as her mind fell into a pool of flowers while dreaming about marrying her beautiful classmate.

After a few seconds of silence, the rabbit snapped her fingers that made Ryujin stop daydreaming.

"Are you okay?" Heejin asked while giving her friend a concerned look.

Ryujin let out a big smile and stood up from her seat. "I think I'm in love, Heejin." Ryujin said and skipped her way to the cat-eyed girl.

"Well that was fast." Heejin whispered.

"Hello Hwang Yeji." Ryujin greeted and gave Yeji a big smile.

Yeji started glaring at Ryujin. "What do you want?" Yeji asked in a cold tone.

Ryujin started biting her bottom lip as she tried to stop herself from blushing. 'How is she so pretty?' Ryujin thought to herself as she gazed upon Yeji's glowing eyes.

"C-can I go h-home with you t-today?" Ryujin shyly asked while avoiding eye contact with the cat-eyed girl.

Yeji went back to writing and answering homework. "Sure, just don't be annoying."

Ryujin let out a giant smile. "O-okay!" Ryujin said in a happy tone.

--

While they are walking, silence is the only thing present within the two of them.

Ryujin started thinking about topics that relate to science, math or anything smart because she wants to start a conversation with the cat-eyed girl.

After a few seconds, Ryujin let out a sharp exhale. "H-hey, Hwang Yeji."

Yeji let out an annoyed face. "Did I tell you to speak? All I want is silence, Shin Ryujin."

Ryujin chuckled in an awkward way. "W-well...h-hey, did you know that if you stand on top of the Empire State Building and drop a penny, that penny can kill someone on the sidewalk?"

Yeji glared at Ryujin. "Seriously? no, it cannot. It can hurt someone, but it can't kill. I'm sure that people who believe that myth failed science class."

"O-oh." Ryujin weakly said. "H-hey, Hwang Yeji." Ryujin said that made the cat-eyed girl pause for a moment.

Yeji turned around and looked at Ryujin. "What?"

"I-I like you. M-more t-than a friend." Ryujin said without hesitation and started hoping that she gets a good reply from the cat-eyed girl.

"Okay? I don't like you." Yeji coldly said and continued walking.

Ryujin let out a small smile. "They say the coldest thing in Korea is the weather. They obviously hadn't met you." Ryujin whispered and continued walking. "Hwang Yeji, wait up!"

--

Ryujin slowly opened the door to her house. "Mom, Dad, I'm home." Ryujin said while looking around.

"They're not here yet." Ryujin's sister, Shin Yuna who is a year younger than Ryujin, said and let out a smile.

Ryujin smiled at her younger sister. "They left you all alone?" Ryujin asked and chuckled.

"No. They said that they're gonna buy something."

"Alright. Yuna, do you want to play games with me while we wait for Mom and Dad?"

"Okay, Unnie." Yuna said and a hint of happiness is seen on her face.