S E V E N T E E N

Start from the beginning

"When I get you signed up for school after the summer, I'm going to need to get you into a writing club or drama." His malice free chuckle rumbled into the air. It was so hearty that even Harley had to smile.

"I'm being dramatic."

"No. This is good. As much as I love to see you happy it's nice to know you have more emotions than happy, frustrated and sad. I suppose you being this open means I'm doing alright with you."

He most certainly was. John Routledge was not a wealthy man, and whilst he was chasing a dream of lost treasures, his heart and kindness weighed more than gold.

"You are. I'd like to think my dad was like you."

"I'm sure he is. But I do want you to know that I'm family and so is John B even if you have had a disagreement." John was a very calming person to be around, he always put Harley at ease.  "Now back to you dating this Rafe boy. I can understand the dislike of you being around him, I get the dramas of the Kooks versus Pogues at your ages, but if you're happy John B and the others will have to deal with it. With that being said, do I need to get you to have a talk with a nurse about activities, relationships. My track record is not stellar and well I only had John B, I have no idea how to suddenly handle a daughter. I'm more than willing to try though, if you want to discuss things with me."

Laughter bubbled up Harley's throat at the traumatised look on John's face when he mentioned activities. It died down to a grateful smile as she shook her head to politely decline. "I think I'll be okay. But thank you for the offer."

"Wow and suddenly having a daughter is much easier than I thought." John rubbed his hands together and stood up from his seat. "Did you have any plans for today. Do I need to take you somewhere. I don't want you to be alone, so you can spend the day with me if it won't ruin your street cred."

"I don't think I have any 'street cred' and even if I did I'd still hang out with you. But-" Harley peered down at the time on her phone. "I'm supposed to be at the garage today. I start my job there today."

"Woah hold on. I think we've missed a few episodes here, kiddo."

They had. With everything that had happened lately Harley had forgotten to inform John that she'd somehow stumbled across a job. So, she took the time to explain and catch him up. He was impressed, though he made it clear that if she wanted to have a job it didn't need to be because she felt like John couldn't provide for her. He could and he would.

Billie had been showing Harley the ins and outs of the garage and running through the basics of where she'd start out. Harley had surprised both Billie and herself with the knowledge she had when Billie tested her a little. It was strange how Harley could remember car engines and not the clear faces of her family. She could tell you how to fix an engine, but couldn't wade through the fog in her head and decipher the eye colour of her mother.

She had resorted to creating a family from scratch in her head, whenever she had a spare moment to daydream

Billie had been nice from the outset, taking Harley under her wing and filling the quiet with awful singing and borderline dad jokes. It felt oddly natural being around Billie and Harley liked that it felt like they would be good friends. 

Harley had chosen to spend most of the day with Billie. Rafe had called during the afternoon to make plans with her that evening, so she agreed and said she would meet him at Kelce's house. 

Now she was walking through the streets phone in hand not too far from her destination. There wasn't many cars on the street, so the bright lights of the same black Range Rover startled Harley. At first she thought maybe the person was lost, but now she felt like she was being followed. That alarmed her. Her palms grew sweaty when she spied the car stopping down the road and turning around. Harley brought her phone to her ear as she picked up her walking speed.