Part 17

"Well?", the Princess demanded. "What have you jokers got to say for yourselves?"

Han shrugged.

"They were amateurs", he said nonchalantly, doing his best to look casual as he sprawled in the lounge chair of Leia's borrowed suite. Standing in the background, vainly trying to blend in with the potted plants around him, Chewbacca whined softly, while Luke stood stiffly at parade rest, his face taut like that of a first year cadet caught with his pants off.

"I shouldn't need to remind you, Captain", the Princess said coldly. "That we are guests of the planet's government. Shooting up a club is not going to help the Alliance's cause one bit."

"This had nothing to do with your revolution", Han shot back. "This was a private deal that went wrong, that's all."

"And why did it go wrong?", the Princess barked.

"I already told you", Han replied, idly toying with one of the plant leaves dangling beside him. "I owe some people a little bit of money. Apparently word of the bounty got around quick. Real quick."

"Your private debts are no concern to me", the Princess replied. "But I will not have you endangering my mission with your personal problems."

"Whatever you say, sweetheart", Han said. "Speaking of, how's that mission going anyway? Any idea where your man went?"

"Not yet", the Princess said stiffly. "General Q'Plic assures me they are looking everywhere."

"Funny", Han said. "You'd think they wouldn't lose track of someone like that so easily."

"If by that you mean that you suspect foul play..."

"Well, don't you?", Han retorted, trying hard to catch the Princess's eye.

"Of course I do", the Princess retorted, without fully meeting Han's gaze. "General Q'Plic never intimated anything to the contrary. There is unquestionably a leak somewhere, and someone must have informed the Empire of our friend's whereabouts and allowed the Empire to kidnap him."

"Yeah, a leak", Han muttered. "You sure you can trust this General Whats-his-name? After all, by the looks of it he's not exactly running a tight operation."

"Leave that to me, Captain", the Princess replied. "You're here to be my pilot. From now on, I expect you to restrict yourself to that role, and that role only.

"Fine", Han retorted as he arose. "In that case, I'll be heading to the pilot's lounge on level 10. You know, the place where pilots are supposed to be. C'mon, Chewie."

With that, Han stalked out of the suite, with the Wookie in his wake. Leia followed the man out with her eyes, then turned to where Luke was still standing where he had been previously.

"Your highness?", the kid enquired as he stiffened to attention.

"Relax", Leia said, her tone softening slightly. "None of this was your fault."

"Yes it is, your highness", Luke replied insistently. "I should have dissuaded Han from going into the club in the first place."

"Just take it easy, Luke", Leia said with a smile. There was something about the kid that she found irresistibly endearing. At least, he seemed like a kid to her, even though they were basically the same age. The guy was refreshing. He was exactly the kind of honest, everyday sort of guy that made the galaxy a place worth fighting for. The kind of guy she could almost fall for. But not quite. In a way, she felt more like a sister to him than anything else. Taking her hand to his cheek she kissed him lightly on the other.

"Now get outta here", she said with a laugh as the farmboy's face started turning bright red. "Just get down to the pilot's lounge and stay out of trouble, ok?"

Mumbling an incoherent response, Luke shuffled past Leia and made his way out the door. "And keep an eye on that scruffy pirate for me, will you?", Leia called after the boy as the door closed behind him.

********

"Your Highness?"

Leia started, the scented water of the bath around her stirring as she sat up part way.

"What is it, 3PO?", she asked.

"Your Highness, there is a visitor to see you", the droid replied. "One of the natives, I believe."

"Tell him to come back later", Leia replied tiredly.

"I'm afraid he was most insistent, your highness", the droid said apologetically. "He said he had information regarding Lieutenant Altari."

Leia sat up fully.

"Bring him in. No, forget it. I need a minute. Have him wait outside. I won't be a minute."

"Yes, your highness", the droid said, withdrawing.

Leia scrambled out of the bath, the towel wrapping up her profuse hair nearly falling off as she did so. Finally, there was some kind of lead, but why it hadn't come directly from Q'Plic himself she couldn't guess. No matter. If nothing else, she was grateful for the interruption. So long as she could keep her mind busy, and not let it fall into the dark places she tended to slip into in private these days. She had always been good at losing her feelings through her work, but these days there never seemed to be enough work in the whole galaxy to keep her bouts of depression away. Ever since Alderaan......no, she couldn't think about Alderaan. She couldn't afford to. A few moments later, Leia entered her suite's lounge, still tying off the sash of her dressing gown.

Perched awkwardly on one of the human-sized chairs was a Pardian in a cloud car pilot's uniform.

"I am Leia Organa", Leia said as the Pardian arose. "I understand you have information for me."

"Yes, your highness", the alien chirruped respectfully. "It's about the man you are looking for."

"What about him", Leia said breathlessly as she took a seat in one of the chairs.

"Mind you, I am not completely certain, your highness", the alien said. "But I am very nearly."

"Just tell me what you know, or at least suspect", Leia insisted.

"I am a pilot assigned to General Q'Plic's personal squadron", the alien continued. "A few days ago, I was tasked with a secret mission. I was ordered to attack an Imperial transport, which we were told was expected to be on a flight path behind our lines. We were told that the transport was being escorted by two Imperial fighters. We were given strict orders to ignore the fighters, and focus our attention on the transport only. We were ordered to ensure that the transport was destroyed, and to let the fighters go without engaging them. This we did. We found the transport at the exact location we were told we would. The fighters did not attack us, and did not try to stop us from attacking the transport, which we successfully destroyed. This all stuck me as very strange, your highness. On our return to base, I spoke to one of my fellow pilots about it. He told me that General Q'Plic had gone on a secret mission at the same time, and that he had met with an Imperial officer who came in flight of ships exactly the same as those we had intercepted. He told me that General Q'Plic had handed over two prisoners to the Imperials, one of which was a rebel which had been brought from the central hospital. I cannot give you the name of my colleague who told me this, however I can vouch for his truthfulness. I am taking a great risk by telling you this, however I felt it was imperative that I speak out. I suspect that General Q'Plic has been dealing with the enemy. Please, please, your highness, don't reveal to the general that it was I who told you this."

"Don't worry", Leia said grimly between clenched teeth. "You won't have to worry about General Q'Plic. Not for long."