Chapter Eleven ✘ Wildebeests

Start from the beginning

"It's adorable," Faith gushes, grinning from ear to ear. "How old?"

"Eight months. The rest of her litter all got adopted, and she's the last." Marla informs, moving forward to open the kennel. The little puppy dashes out, launching herself onto my lap, licking my whole face and I laugh, running my fingers through her curly, soft fur.

"It's a she?" Bella beams. "Another addition to our trio."

"We'll take her." I say, swooping the wiggling puppy in my arms as I get to my feet. Faith and Bella reach over to pet her, and she relishes in the extra attention, barking and wagging her tail furiously.

"Great, I'll get started on the paperwork then." Marla smiles, and walks to the front counter, and we follow her.

The three of us play around with the puppy, and after I fill out all the necessary paperwork, I pay the adoption fee. Marla gives us a cardboard box to take the puppy home in, and we thank her for everything before heading outside. The puppy is thrashing excitedly inside the box in my arms as I walk towards our car, barking and trying to jump out, chaotic as ever.

"Crap, I think we just got ourselves a mini Jordyn." Faith chortles and Bella laughs, agreeing. I smother a smile by scowling at her playfully.

We drive home, the box nestled between Faith and Bella in the back seat. I carry her up to our apartment, and Bella unlocks the door, pushing it open. Crouching down, I set the puppy on the floor, and she immediately darts inside, running in circles like a little tornado.

"Welcome home, angel." I chuckle.

• • •

"So, for next week, I need you guys to write a ten page paper on interview techniques used in sports production." Professor Yern, my Sports Production teacher, says circling her desk, resting her hip against the edge as she looks around at all of us. "You can include research, opinions, facts, statistics, whatever you see fit, as well as examples."

I jot down the task in my laptop, already coming up with stuff to mention in the essay in my head. Kai shifts in his seat next to me, and I shoot him a sideways glance.

"What's up?" I whisper, keeping my eyes on our Professor that's still explaining what to include in the paper.

"Confused as fuck." Kai grumbles. "No way I can write a ten page paper on my own."

"Shouldn't have skipped those classes eh?" I tease, and he rolls his eyes, distraught clear in his face.

"I can help you out if you'd like." I shrug, turning my head to look at him finally. "I take notes on every lecture."

Kai exhales gratefully. "Really? That'd be a huge help."

"It's no problem. As long as you get some pizza." I grin, closing the lid of my laptop.

He grins. "Bet."

We exchange numbers, and plan to meet up at his place tomorrow.

"... so are we clear? You can email me if you have any questions." Professor Yern says. "You are dismissed, have a great day."

Gathering my stuff, I walk out of the hall with Kai by my side, only to bump into Jace as soon as I step outside past the doors and into the hallway.