Prologue

Things are all supposed to be planned. Something unplanned can lead to disaster. Unorganized things can be annoying and make you lose your patience. And unexpected events could cause accidents.

Doing things on the spot could be messy, but it could also be fun. It could be an adventure or a discovery. Sometimes we have to see the world with our eyes closed. Not everything is planned. Neither is everything planned better.

~⚜️~

I arrived at the party a few minutes late. I had a debate with myself about whether I should go or not. Eventually, my older sister made me realize that this is not just some random party! It's our step-sister's birthday! Hurray! Not so exciting.

Stephanie, I don't like her nor do I hate her. She's just average to me. I see her like a lady that I live with and nothing else. Call me blind, but I seriously can't see what Ate Kristine sees in her.

I walked into the room and lucky enough, I didn't get to be the center of attention due to my tardiness. Not knowing my purpose in the room, I sat at one of the couches, bored, and watched as everyone greeted her.

Ah, I knew I forgot something. A gift! I forgot to bring a gift for my step-sis 18th birthday! How responsible! However, I didn't mind. It's not like she'll value it anyway.

"Nathalie!", she chirped then sprinted towards me. Why does she seems so jolly to me when I don't care about her? Strange.

"Hello", I simply replied. Then gave a small smile to not look rude and cold.

"Thank goodness you arrived! I thought you'd be busy with your career again!", she pouted which was kinda cute, to be honest. I chuckled at her then patted her shoulder.

"Well, you should thank Ate Kristine for that", she sighed in relief.

"Thank you, Lord! I'd be dead worried if I heard you passed out or something!", aww such a considerate sister! So cute! I chuckled again.

"By the way", she hummed in response. "I forgot to give you a gift...", I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. It was more embarrassing than I thought. "Sorry..." I smiled awkwardly.

At first, she was speechless but laughed at it later. Of course, I forgot she's a simple gal who doesn't care about those things. "It's alright! I don't mind really", she smiled genuinely which caused me to smile a bit, too. I never realized how precious that smile was...

"Besides, you being here is already a great gift!", a tint of red was on her cheeks. Not as a blush, it's just a thing that happens when she's too happy.

"Happy birthday", I pulled her in for a hug in which she hugged back really tight. Dang, this gal is a hugger! I tapped her at the back to stop 'cuz she was already squeezing me at this point. She just giggled then stop.

Unexpectedly, she tiptoed then kissed my cheek. She. Kissed. My. Cheek. Me. I was speechless. We weren't close! Even my best friend wouldn't kiss my cheek! What on earth is with this gal?

She skipped away as if nothing happened then started talking to some of her friends who were mostly girls. I tried processing what happened but shrugged it off. She is a jolly gal anyway, so it's probably normal for her to do that.

Yes, we barely know each other. It has only been a few months since we moved in with them. Her father and my mother got married after my father died then his aunts and uncles kicked us out of the house. Thankfully, Papa who was at my mother's college offered us his rest house for us to stay in. A few years later they soon fell for each other and surprise, surprise, boom! They got married.

My older sister, being the social butterfly she is, got to know her quickly. They became close with each other. Steph was very happy with this 'cuz she said she always wanted an older sister.

Me being at the party, allowed me to know her even just a little bit. My Ate told me it would be better so when one of us needs someone, we could be there to support each other. Being the introvert I am, I just didn't care. I already have a few friends, they're enough for me.

~⚜️~

The party ended at 11:33. Stephanie is so drunk right now... So I'm trying to be a responsible sister and help her to get home. Our parents won't like this...at least my mother won't.

I slapped her to wake her up. I can't have Nanay see her like this! We'd be screwed!

"Steph! Hoi! Wake up!", she just laughed at me while trying to stand up. She was mumbling words I couldn't understand. Goodness gracious, this gal is so drunk...

On the bright side, it is her 18th birthday anyway and this is quite expected... So I guess we'll be alright? Augh whatevs. I knocked on our door in which Ate Kris opens. She wheezed at Steph for being VERY drunk.

She helped me get the drunk gal in the house. Papa chuckled while Nay looked at her in disbelief. My older sis, being the nurse that she is, took care of her.

I just stayed for a bit in the living room before deciding that sleep is already inviting me so I went to my bed, changed to my terno pajamas then slept.

~⚜️~

[929 words]