Four

Esmè sighed as she walked into work. She couldn't believe that she had sex with Max again. Despite them having a baby, Esmè didn't want to blur boundaries anymore.

Max walked over to her and smiled. "Good morning."

"Hi."

Max could tell that Esmè was pushing him away. He looked at her. "What happened last night. It was amazing. Don't be embarrassed about it," he said.

"I'm not embarrassed about it. I'm just annoyed that it happened. It shouldn't have happened and we both know that," Esmè said.

Max sighed. He nodded. "But it happened. Again."

"And we're having a baby. We shouldn't complicate things anymore than necessary. Let's focus on being good parents to our little blob."

****

Rachel smiled as Esmè walked into the office. She looked at her. "How did the scan go?" She asked.

Esmè nodded. "Yeah it went okay. They're saying I'm due to have the baby in June. And that I'm nine weeks and three days," she told her.

Rachel smiled. "And do you know what you want? A boy or a girl?"

"I want an healthy baby. But I'd like a little girl. I don't know what Max wants. Probably a boy."

Rachel rolled her eyes. "Es. I don't want to talk about Max Tyler. His opinion doesn't matter," she told her.

Esmè scoffed. "It's Max's baby that I'm having. Why do you want to keep on doing this? Max and I... we had sex. I'm now pregnant. So please, stop with the comments. I can't handle it. Max is the father and you need to deal with that."

****

Tom saw Esmè walking into the staffroom. He smiled. "You know, considering you're pregnant, you're moving quite quick," he said.

"It's this place. Sets you on edge. Makes you want to speed," Esmè said.

Tom laughed. "What's baby daddy saying about all of this?" He asked as he handed her a hot chocolate.

Esmè shrugged. "Well we're both agreed that we should stay friends for the baby's sake. But other than that, nothing is going to happen with us. Anyway. Enough about my lack of love life. Anyone in your life?"

Tom winked. "There may be someone. It's early days though," he told her.

Esmè grinned. "Good. You need to get laid. Cause I've seen the tension in your trousers and it's not good."

"Esmè."

****

Max was walking through the school. He saw Esmè sitting in her classroom alone. "Hey. What's up?" He asked.

Esmè smiled. "Nothing. I'm just thinking. Like do you think we've messed up? Having this baby?"

Max shook his head. "No. We're two consenting adults who had sex and both of us were too drunk to remember the protection. But, it's not a mistake."

"No i know that. But... I don't know. It feels like once it's come out that I am pregnant with your baby, people won't be supportive. My mum already thinks it's a mistake," Esmè said.

Max took hold of Esmè's hand and smiled. "This baby. It's you and me. Despite what anyone else says, I want our baby. And I want you too."

"Max. We can't complicate this. Having a baby as friends is more than complicated enough. But I want you too."

Max nodded and smirked. "So how about you agree to us becoming friends with benefits. I know that you're going to have needs. And I'd be too happy to help you with them," he said.

Esmè found herself agreeing to what Max suggested. But would they make it through the pregnancy without complications coming into it?