Chapter Eight: Alike

Hold it in. Just a little longer. These were the only thoughts that swirled in his head as he began to jog a little in search of a good hiding (crying) spot. He could practically hear his heartbeat in his ears. It’s not long before he finds a larger tree to hide behind, no one but him was outside and he was a fair distance from the entrance of the doors to the garden so this would do. He quickly got behind it and stood with his back to it for a second or two before sliding down.

As he sat there he noticed his trembling hands, his thoughts were racing causing him to feel a little dizzy and small headache that would surely get worse. Tears began streaming down as the overwhelming feeling in his gut rose up into his throat and came out a choked cry.

As much as a literal new life sounded amazing this “new life” he now has isn’t all that knew, it already has a history, a history of upsetting people left and right one way or another and because of that he might as well have a death sentence. Of course he loved the idea of starting anew… but he was already starting anew in his past life. He didn’t need nor want to be transmigrated into a new body to do that, he was happy with where his life was going, he was happy becoming happier… It’s now that he begins to realize that this wasn’t fine and that maybe the cons, main near certain death, out weigh the pros, but this was bound to happen at some point... he couldn’t brush this off and force himself to be ok with this simply because there wasn’t much he could do, and even if he found a way to return to his past life there was no guarantee that his body was still alive and waiting for him.

He misses home. he misses his old life a lot now. it wasn’t perfect by any means but it sure as hell was nice and getting better little by little. He misses the comfort of his own bed, his own home, watching his favorite shows in bed, his favorite snacks he kept in his room for when he was watching there, things at home that would calm him or make him happy whenever he needed it, having a one man concert anywhere he liked, staying up late on the internet, the weird shows he watched out of boredom , the nice warm smell he had for his home and most importantly his own choices impacting his own future.

The flood gates opened and he began crying his river of fear and sadness. He cried for what seemed like an hour before the headache caused by cry so much convinced him to start claiming down. He wiped at his face trying to clean up the mess of half dried tears and snot that was on his face while still having some tears stream down. After a while he had wiped it all off and curled up into a ball and simply sat there occasionally wiping away new tears that fell from his eyes.

“Meow.” He slightly perked up in curiosity at the sound. “Meow.” He drowsily looked around and saw no cat in sight. “Meow.” Finally, he looked up to see a cat crouching no a branch above him, it had a black and white fur pattern with green eyes. “Meow.”

‘...Must be stuck there…’ he thought to himself before standing up to help it down, the branch wasn’t too high off the ground but it was high enough that the cat couldn’t get down on it’s own and he would have to blimb up a little to reach it. He slipped off his shoes to get a better grip of the tree with his feet so as to not slip and fall, grabbed on to a little knob on the tree and began to steadily climb it, he’s no stranger to climbing tree’s, he’d done it often in his own back yard as a kid. He’d gotten half way to the branch with ease before the cat braced itself and jumped on to his head and down to the floor in one fluid motion, it landed safely on the ground as all cats do and waited patiently for him to come down, which took a shorter amount of time than it did for him to go up. When he was down he patted down his hair that was ruffled by the cat and sat down.

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Elias reached out a hand to the cat beckoning it to come closer, which it did much to his surprise. He stoked its chin, patted it’s head and before long he was cuddling it, the cat smelled quite nice indicating that it probably belonged to someone, though it didn't have a collar.

They sat in silence for some time before Elias began to tell his new friend the story of his life. He knew he must have looked weird to anyone watching him, god he hoped no was, but he needed to get it off his chest and if not now when? He didn’t know so this was his best option. He let out a sigh “And that’s the story of my life, it’s crazy I know, and I bet you don’t even believe me much less understand anything I just rambled of to you… but thanks for listening... it really helped…” he trailed off.

He sighed again and laid down, still holding his new friend with one arm, he had a headache, he’s basically at deaths door and he dreaded to think of what’s going to happen at home, in short it was a shitty day, so he succumbed to sleep under the large tree with a breeze swaying it’s leaves on a beautiful, warm day.

The cat lay there in his arms confused, exieted, surprised and sorry. During the entire time he was listening all he wanted to do was tell him ‘I know what you mean’, ‘I believe you’, ‘I understand exactly how you feel’ and ‘we’re the same’ but alas he was a human in the body of a cat, incapable of speech. He desperately wished to talk to him, say something, anything… but all he could do was silently comfort the kid and meow in response.

More thoughts swirled in it’s head about how there could be so many more people like them, people who one day died and woke up in a new body in a new or perhaps fictional world (?), how could he find them, he couldn’t even talk for God’s sake, only one person could understand him and they themselves can’t leave their bed without any help. More thoughts like this swirled in his head as he slowly thought of solutions for one problem at a time, but one thing was certain: he would definitely be keeping an eye on this kid.

'Your welcome kid.' was his last thought before he too fell asleep.

Hours passed as the two comfortably slept together under the shade.

Elias’ eyes fluttered open still puffy from ugly crying a few hours ago and still very tired. He laid there for a while enjoying the tranquility he was sure would only last for this short while. He finally sat up and in the process woke the cat that slept soundly with him, he pet the cat goodbye and left to see how long he had been there for.

As soon as he was in he saw a teacher was walking toward him. “Um excuse me, but what time is it?” he asked. The teacher checked her watch “2:55, it’ll be time to go home in five minutes.” She responded. “thank you.” He said with a smile then bid her goodbye as he went to get his belongings to go home, she on the other hand stood there for a short while confused and amazed to actually hear such words from him of all people.

Almost 20 minutes later he was back in his bed room. He dropped his bag on the floor, kicked off his shoes, took of his jacket, loosened his tie, unbuttoned the first two buttons of his shirt and collapsed on his bed. He laid there for a minute taking in the fresh sent of clean bed sheets before bringing himself to his pillows and going under the covers to sleep the day away.