Chapter 33 - 'Venting'

Start from the beginning

'Continue to the next room, make sure to let us know if you find anything useful,' Kaldur says seriously and I wince in embarrassment at his unimpressed response.

'Right right, sorry. We'll check in later,' I reply sheepishly before climbing back into the vent. Superboy grabbed the vent cover before following me, and I was about to question how he was going to put it back when he forced it back into position so harshly that it remained in place. It was like we had never even been there.

We continued our exploration, heading back the way we came to take the next path. There were voices coming in the direction of the vent exit, so we slowed our movements as we approached it. Lights and the clicking of buttons became clear when we arrived at the grate and I peered through carefully to get a look at the room.

There were large screens displayed on the walls along with buttons and controls on a desk, while a few people in uniform were stationed at different screens and desks. I looked back at Superboy with a nod before whispering to him, "found the security room, don't think we need to check here."

With that we quickly turned around to head back, the guards having not noticed our presence over the sounds of their chatter and the clicks of their keyboard keys.

'Second room is the security room, we're heading onto the last room in our area. Anyone get anything yet?' I ask the others while Superboy follows behind me silently.

'Nothing so far, just some labs and break rooms.' Rob's voice replies simply and I sigh as we continue crawling. I hope we find this weapon soon, my back is killing me from being hunched over this whole time.

We crawl down our last route and the sounds of generators and mechanical whirring slowly grow louder as we approach the vent exit. It seemed like the closer we got the colder the metal of the vent walls became. Soon we approached the vent cover and the surface of the shaft was ice cold to the touch, I bit back a shiver as I peered through it.

This room was larger, with blue lights illuminating it just enough that we could see each part of the room. The walls were covered with screens and desks while the centre of the room had a tall glass container situated in the middle. A series of controls and devices surrounded it, along with a few guards.

'I think we got something, there a few guards in the room though. What should we do?' I ask the others as we look down at three guards, they were facing a door on the opposite side of the room with their backs turned to us.

'Which room are you in?' Rob asked and I sent him our location with my watch. 'Take them out, there are no guards outside of the room and I can intercept their communications. Just make it quick and quiet.'

Supey and I both smirk at his response before I shuffle out of his way slightly. "If you'll do the honours," I hum while gesturing to the vent cover, he doesn't hesitate to punch the vent and send it flying across the room directly into the unsuspecting guards. The impact causes one of them to fall to the ground while the others stumble forward. I make haste with hoping out of the vent and racing towards one of the guys still standing, sending a flurry of punches his way before striking him in the neck to render him unconscious.

Superboy joins me and grabs the guy off the floor before tossing him into the remaining guard. They collide and collapse to the floor, and while they were stunned I speed over and repeat the same move to the both of them, leaving all three K.O.'d.

"Too easy," I say proudly before offering him a high five, which he hesitantly accepts. With the guards taken care of, we get to work on gathering information. I slide over to the large control panel in front of the glass container and hook up a cable from my watch to the panel.