Chapter 29 - Instinct

Start from the beginning

She then looked at Ash and realized something. "Honestly May," she said, looking at her bag that was filled with only her essential goods. "All I need is on me. Everything at the house is just posters and extra stuff. You can have it!" she said confidently.

May was shocked by this decision but nodded out of respect. Serena felt a tug on her other arm and saw Max looking up at her. "I didn't get to know you much," he admitted, guilt hidden in his words. "But I know you were a good friend to May, so thank you." He put his fist up for a bump, which Serena kindly reciprocated.

"Ash!" Goh suddenly said from behind the group. "We've got to go! It's getting late!" He showed everyone the time, which caused May and Max to look at each other with fear. "The plane gate's about to close!" they said in unison. May apologetically turned toward Ash, Goh, and Serena, and said, "We wish we could stay longer, but we have to go!"

"I gotcha," Ash said, nodding as he lifted his hands on May and Serena's shoulders. "See ya!" he said, putting up a hand for a high five, which both May and Max returned. "Let's go, Max!" May exclaimed, giving one last goodbye look towards Serena and dragging her brother towards the airport which would lead them back to Hoenn.

As Serena watched the two leave, she began feeling slightly queasy. Maybe I made the wrong decision, Serena thought. What if I should go with them after all? She was about to switch her decision when Ash spoke up.

"So, are you ready to meet everybody at the lab?" he asked, excited that Serena would be joining them on this adventure. Like before, any doubts that she had vanished simply by Ash's voice, making her queasiness go away.

"Yeah, I am," Serena said. "Do you think they'll like me?" She then added worriedly. Ash looked at her with a serious face and said, "Of course, they will! Just be yourself and you'll be fine!" Serena blushed at Ash's compliment as Goh walked over to the two.

"So," he said, addressing both Ash and Serena. "We should head to the lab, yes?" They both nodded in return, causing Goh to smile at them. "Great, 'cause I think Chloe would love to meet you, Serena." He turned away and began walking in the direction of the lab, leaving Serena to wonder who Chloe was.

[-]

Ash opened the door to Cerise Laboratories, Goh and Serena right behind him. Judging by a quick scan of the room, Ash noticed that Ren and Chrysa had already gone, while Professor Cerise was typing away on his computer with Chloe playing with Yamper right behind him.

"Hi, Professor Cerise!" Goh exclaimed, catching both the hard-working Professor and Chloe off guard. "Oh, you're both back!" he said, turning around as he said this. "I thought you went to Anistar City?"

Goh nodded and replied, "We were until we got caught up in a messy situation." As he said this, Serena revealed herself behind him, gaining the attention of Chloe and piquing the Professor's interest.

"Alright, you two have a lot of explaining to do," he said, smiling at Serena who timidly presented herself. Goh looked at Ash and nodded, indicating he should tell the truth about the crystal and the Lake Trio.

Ash saw Goh's expression and sighed, knowing what it meant. I guess I do have to tell him, he thought. Maybe he can help somehow? Ash and Goh sat down in some empty chairs next to Professor, with Serena sitting next to Chloe, and they began explaining everything that had happened that day.

[-]

"Wow!" Professor Cerise exclaimed once Ash and Goh had finished recalling their entire day. "Seems like you boys had quite the adventure!" He then turned to Ash and frowned. "And will Lucario be okay?"

Ash nodded and said, "Nurse Joy doesn't know what's wrong, but I trust her." He then looked at his bag and remembered the crystal. "You aren't mad about the crystal?" he asked the Professor with a guilty look on his face.