𝟏.𝟎𝟓, cosmogyral omens

𝐂 𝐎 𝐒 𝐌 𝐎 𝐆 𝐘 𝐑 𝐀 𝐋   𝐎 𝐌 𝐄 𝐍 𝐒

        𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 after the faint aurora of orange sunrise fell servant to a pure sapphire sky, Melody's fair eyes blinked open.

There was the familiar dormitory ceiling, illuminated by a few slivers of golden light, her comfortably warm pillows — and most notably, there was Hermione's jittery voice, rambling at a million miles a minute.

"Finally, you're awake," she said, bustling over to Melody's bed in a mother-like way. "We'll miss breakfast if you don't hurry, and you told me you'd help with my hair—"

"Mione, it's half past seven," groaned Melody, burying herself further beneath the sheets. "Give me a second."

Hermione's vexed voice pressed on: "Classes start at nine, and I want to make sure I know where I'm going!"

"Listen to yourself," Melody sighed. Reluctantly, she dropped down onto the wooden floor. "Speaking as though I am not a human encyclopedia of Hogwarts castle."

"But—"

"Don't worry about it. Where's your hairbrush?"

Hermione exhaled sharply. "On my bed."

"Great, thanks."

Then, of course, Hermione's frustration was gone as soon as it had come. She watched Melody pad across the dormitory, so gentle, so graceful in the smallest of tasks, wondering how a friend could live so genuinely. Even in the daylight, Hermione believed, Melody was star-studded.

She softened into a smile, as so many often did when Melody was involved — but when the pair of them entered the Great Hall for breakfast, they were both scowling.

The first thing they saw was Draco Malfoy, who seemed to be entertaining a large group of Slytherins with a very funny story. As they passed, Malfoy did a ridiculous impression of a swooning fit, and there was a roar of laughter.

"Hey, Potter!" shrieked Pansy Parkinson, a Slytherin girl with a face like a pug. "Potter! The dementors are coming, Potter! Woooooooo!"

Melody followed Pansy's gaze to the seat at the Gryffindor table where Harry sat, red-faced and humiliated.

"What a tremendous way to begin my day," Melody growled at once, beginning to stalk towards the Slytherin group. "Half a dozen unconscious bodies."

"Don't!" exclaimed Hermione, seizing the neck of her robes. "Just ignore them, it's not worth it . . ."