Chapter 5

2,174 words

Kageyama’s pov

That night was a weird one. I heard Hinata scream in the dead of night and was so worried. He was crying and on the verge of having a panic attack. I had no idea what to do but apparently I did the right thing making him breath with me. It calmed him down.

Now here I am holding him in his bed. Hugging him. Why did I do this? Is this what friends do to comfort each other? I’m not sure because I’ve never really had a proper friend before Hinata. I look down at his face not trying to sleep.

He looks peaceful. Hopefully that means that he’s not having a nightmare. It is dark but my eyes have adjusted to the lighting. I can see his messy curly orange hair. Every part of his face. But this feeling is weird to me. Why am I doing this?? I should have just gone back to my bed.

But he said ‘Don’t leave me again.’ When did I leave him? Was it in his dream? No, it was in his nightmare. Was he scared that I am going to leave him? We live together for god sake.

His eyes scrunch closed even more. Oh no. Is he having another nightmare? I pull him closer to me so that his head is practically leaning against my chest. Didn’t I just say that I should leave and now I’ve just pulled him closer to me?

I can’t see him anymore but I can feel him relax. He squeezes my hand. This is so weird. I don’t like being this close with him. Do I? I keep telling myself about how uncomfortable I am being with him here as I fall asleep to my own dreamless night.

I wake up and I’m a bit confused. Where am I? Then last night hits me and I sit up. Where's Hinata? I go out and smell food. Is that fried eggs? I walk to the kitchen and see Hinata.

“What are you doing?” He jumps.

“Oh you're up! I wanted to thank-you for yesterday haha. So I made you breakfast!”

“Oh umh thanks I guess. You didn’t have to do this.”

“Yeah but I wanted to! Plus I think I’ve gotten better! Here!” He takes out a plate, puts the egg on it and slides it over to me.

“Thanks.” He’s looking at me like he’s asking me what I think. I roll my eyes. “It's nice.” His eyes light up.

“Great!” He eats up his one and we get ready for school. I still feel a bit awkward after last night but he seems a lot better. I have been noticing that he is starting to look a lot more sleepy later so it feels good to know that he’s gotten some sleep.

When we get to school he runs off saying that he ‘has to go somewhere’. I just shrug it off and head to my class. At lunchtime I find myself looking for Hinata. He’s not in his class so I go to the next person I think he could be with, Yachi. When I get to her class I see Hinata talking with her. He’s covering his face in his arms and she's laughing at him.

It kind of makes me angry that he runs off without me to go see Yachi. I walk over to them.

“Hi. Why did you run off?” I sit next to them.

“Oh hi Kageyama!” Yachi says.

“Uh hi Yachi?” I look over at Hinata.

“What's up with you?”

“Oh umh nothing! Let's eat lunch!” He smiles at me and my heart skips a beat but I ignore it.

After that, school finishes pretty quickly. It was a Friday so no more school tomorrow. That doesn’t mean that I’m done though. I have volleyball training. I walk there with Hinata and I see him tense up before we walk in.