riku x reader

"Man, if it was any hotter out here, I might melt." The harsh sun beat down on you causing little beads of sweat to form on your furrowed brow. You had only been outside a few minutes, but you were already daydreaming about being inside a cool, air-conditioned building. "Just a little further, I can do this." Though the sun was glaring off of the smooth pavement, you could see your final destination, the ice cream shop. Being able to see your goal gave you the little boost you needed to make it there. You swung both glass doors open and took a deep breath of the cool air in. "Ah, sweet, sweet, air-conditioning."

"I've never seen someone get so worked up over air-conditioning before. You must be really bad with heat huh?" Unable to miss your rather loud entrance, Sora greeted you with a smile. "I'm glad you could make it."

"You invited her here?" Riku's came from behind Sora, and sounded much less pleased at your presence.

"I did. I thought it would be a good idea, since the two of you get along so well." Sora smiled wide. "Well, I've actually got to be going, so you two have fun together." Before Riku could protest, Sora hopped out of his seat and walked out of the doors.

Riku watched as Sora left, and debated whether or not he should follow him. Deciding against it, he looked down at you for a second, then quickly turned around in his swiveling bar seat and resumed eating his ice cream. "Are you going to order something, or do you just plan on standing there, watching me eat?"

"Well, since I did walk here in the smoldering heat, an ice cream would be nice. I would have ordered something sooner, but I wasn't sure if I was welcomed here or not." Not knowing whether he was just trying to be nice to you or not, you decided to sit down at the bar, leaving one open seat between the two of you. "You have a favorite ice cream? I've actually never been here before."

"That explains why I haven't seen you around here." He obviously wasn't too keen on having an all out conversation with you, but he was polite enough to at least answer your question. "My favorite ice cream would probably be the sea-salt. It's both sweet and salty. Also, it doesn't seem to melt quite as fast as most of the other flavors do. But I could be wrong about that."

"I see, that's what I'll get." You quickly ordered your dessert, then began waiting, albeit rather impatiently. "So, do you still hate me for kissing you that one time? You do seem pretty upset to see me. But the fact that Sora invited us both here at the same time and then just left us here alone with each other confuses me a little bit. What I'm saying is, I don't understand why he'd stick you with someone you can't stand. Especially since the two of you are friends."

As Riku began speaking, a small bowl of blue ice cream was placed in front of you. Now having food in front of you, you struggled to pay attention. "First off, no, I don't hate you, your personality just rubs mine the wrong way. Secondly, Sora does this kind of thing to me because he's my friend. He has a slightly odd sense of humor."

"Oh, well that's good then. Not that our personalities clash, but that you don't hate me. I hate it when people hate me. Especially if they decide to hate me before they even know me. I should have known you wouldn't do that though. You seem like a pretty mature, reasonable guy. But then again, I don't really know you all that well." Unable to deny your ice creams call any longer, you began shoveling the frozen treat into your mouth.

Due to how quickly you'd been talking, Riku had only managed to catch bits and pieces of what you'd said. Knowing that wasn't enough information to continue the current subject, he changed it. "You're going to get a brain freeze if you keep eating like that."

"No I won't. You don't need to worry about me. I've never gotten a brain freeze before, I must be immune to them or something." Pointing your full spoon of ice cream at him, you glared accusingly. "And don't you dare say it's because I don't have a brain."

"I said nothing of the sort." A smirk suddenly appeared on his face, but disappeared just as quickly. "I was just trying to warn you is all. There's no need to be so defensive. After all, I've already told you that I don't dislike you, so I really have no reason to pick on you."

You were sure of it, he was teasing you. Still you didn't know why he'd chosen to suddenly start teasing you or how you should react. Since you'd only met Riku a handful of times, you had no way of knowing what he was expecting from you. As you became lost in your thoughts, you began eating faster and faster until a sharp, jabbing pain assaulted your brain. All thoughts stopped as you clutched your head in your hands and dropped it down to the counter top. "W-what in the world is this? It seriously hurts."

"It's a brain freeze. I warned you this would happen." With a quiet sigh, Riku placed a warm mug of hot chocolate next to you. "Drink this, it'll help."

Despite for the unfamiliar feeling to leave, you picked up the mug and began guzzling down the hot liquid. This cured your brain freeze, but you'd managed to burn your mouth in doing so. "I burnt my tongue just then." You blushed, feeling like a complete airhead. "Okay, so maybe I don't have a brain. I still don't understand why I got a brain freeze in the first place though. You must have jinxed me or something."

Riku was giving you a overly pathetic look. "It has nothing to do with me. You got a brain freeze because o the heat. It's hotter than normal, so the ice cream caused a greater change in temperature than it usually would. As for why you decided to chug that hot chocolate, I'm just as lost as you are. I've never seen someone even attempt that before."

"Yeah, but you've got to admit, it was pretty impressive." You scooted over to the seat next to Riku and began elbowing him in the ribs. "Come on, admit it."

"It really wasn't impressive, just, stupid." There was a hint of amusement in his voice. Surprisingly, he didn't even try to hide it.

"Man, you're tough to please Riku. I turn my brain to ice, then set myself on fire, and you still aren't impressed. Not to mention what I went through just to get here." You sighed as you leaned your head against his shoulder. "I guess I'll just have to try even harder next time."

Riku immediately frowned. "I don't think that's a good idea. Judged solely on what you've deemed impressive today, if you try any harder you're likely to kill yourself."

"Well now Riku, I didn't think you would grow so attached to me so quickly." With a crooked smirk covering your face, you began teasingly poking him in the arm. "Maybe you're not so bad after all. Or maybe you liked me all along, but didn't want to admit it?" You leaned in just a little closer and widened your smile. "I'm right, aren't I?"

Having dealt with your sporadic attitude as long as he could, Riku stood from his seat and shook his head. "You can believe what you want, I'm leaving."

"That's fine, it figures you would run away when faced with the truth." Placing your hands behind your head, you attempted to lean back against your chair. Unfortunately you'd forgotten that you were in a bar-stool, meaning you would have fallen backwards, and very likely hurt yourself had Riku not caught you. Still holding you up, Riku stared down at you with a droll expression. "Okay, I admit it, I'm really not that awesome and I might, be a little accident prone."

Riku scoffed as he helped you sit back up in your seat. "A little?"