07 - open house

"Violet." Valerie said, leaning against the bathroom door, watching her recently deceased sister cut herself. "How long are you going to keep mutilating yourself?"

Violet looked at her dead sister like a dear caught in headlights. Valerie had never reacted like that — it scared her.

"Arm, please. You're going to give yourself sepsis. That blade isn't sanitary." Valerie grabbed some alcohol, tipping it on a wash cloth and rubbing it on Violet's bloody arm. Her sister hissed. "Oh, I'm sorry. Do you not like the pain?"

"Why are you being such a bitch?"

"'Cause I have to standby and watch my fifteen year old sister, my baby sister cut herself. I can't keep doing it, Vi, seriously." Valerie pointed out, moving the two so they were sitting on the edge of the bathtub. "I didn't want you stuck here like we are."

Violet missed the last few words as she watched the emotional pain take place on Valerie's face. "I'm not a kid anymore, neither of us are. And you're only a year older then me."

"Violet, you're the most important person in my life." She said softly, dropping the washcloth into the sink and grabbing some bandages from the cupboard. She wrapped them around the broken skin. "Ju-just promise me you'll try and stop. Please."

Violet and Valerie sat in silence, staring at each other. The younger one swallowed back a lump of guilt and held her pinkie out. The older one laughed lightly, wrapping hers around it.

"I'll try."

"Thank you."

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

Parker and Violet aimlessly wandered around the basement, looking at the crazy doctors collection of things — for a lack of better words.

"They planned some brutal family dinner for tonight. Like it's going to make me feel better."

Parker hummed, reminding her girlfriend she was listening as she picked up a jar to look at it. She cringed upon realising it was the mutilated parts of Nora's baby. Quickly but gently she placed it down.

"Do you believe in a better afterlife?"

"Other then ghosts?"

"Yes, other then ghosts." Parker said, peeking her head around the shelf to look at Violet.

"No. I think what you got is what everyone gets."

Parker gave her a sad smile. "You deserve a different ending. A nice one, a soft one." Parker went on to say, wittering on about how her lover deserved better.

Violet furrowed her brows, listening and listening. She didn't understand what Parker was saying, and seemed confused as to why her girlfriend believed she didn't deserve the same ending. "Not you?"

"No. No, I made my first kill when those people broke in. Killers don't get a happy ending. It's wrong, oh so wrong." Parker muttered, wrapping her arms around herself as she came and stood by her lovers side.

She moved one of her arms to brush back some of Violet's hair. "I love you, you know. So much."

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

Valerie laid on her bed, her head in Tate's lap as he read to himself. The boy stopped reading and looked down at her. "Do you believe in ghosts?"