4.

"Why did you even wear it?" Mami mocked Mumma. Neither my maternal side nor my paternal side liked their child's partner, as it was against their wish. No, there was nothing uncommon in my parents, both were Brahmins, both were vegetarian, both had the same social and economic status in the society, both belonged to a reputed family. Still, people had grudges with their relation.

What I disliked rather, hated was that my father, gave a lot of pain, physical, emotional, mental, verbal, etc., to my mother, which obviously is not acceptable by any child.

"Sctch," she sighed and detached the chain from the pendant, "Vaidehi, go and get the clothes from the roof," she said to me and kept the chain on the table and ignoring Mami's questions. I didn't move, I wanted to know why was she wearing the chain. I never liked her wearing that chain.

"Sunayana, will you tell me why did you wear the chain?" Mami confronted Mumma again and she just ignored her but, there is a certain limit till when a person can handle nosy questions.

Finally, Mumma busted, "I wore it cuz, my daughter liked me in that way," she said, "and, what do you've to do Bhabhi? You never came when I needed help... Now, why you're asking me?" 

7 Years Back

It was 11:00 PM already, my father was not back home yet. Anyways, it wasn't new for us, he used to get back home at 12:00 PM or 1:00 PM, we were all normal. We started to worry when I got a note by him near his pants, he must've kept it in the pocket. Wait, in the pocket? Why did he even think we'll look into his pockets, there used to be nothing except for cigarettes and... I do smoke... Oh, yeah, he must be knowing that, that's why he kept it there, smart father. Anyways, the note was for both of us and, it read:

"Sunayana and Vaidehi,

I know, I've given a lot of pain to both of you. I've never been either a good father or a good husband. Always, I used to blame Sunayana for all the false-happenings with me, she used to be the only earning member till Vaidehi was 18. When Vaidehi reached 18, she worked part-time in some forums, and I was still jobless and hopeless. This hurt my ego a lot and seeing you both going to work I feel so useless as a person in this universe. You both are self –independent and I just can't see that, you both have even started to treat me like an outcast. Vaidehi, I have tried to do everything possible for you, beta, but I didn't succeed. I have always loved you but now I have started hating you because you are too like Sunayana. After my marriage, I had always had a hard time keeping my business running smoothly. Some of the other ways, your mother had brought bad fortune to me and, I don't feel sorry for assaulting her. She deserves it. She has made my life so ruthless and miserable. I can't bear this anymore and I'm taking Sunayana's content from her safe deposit box because that belongs to me. I will never come back...

So, don't even try to contact me by any means.

Mithilesh"

*