13. Now I'm Bound by the Life you Left Behind

"You'd better have it."

The man approached the altar with his gaze downcast. He clutched something in his hands, and bent down on one knee before holding it outwards.

"Here you go, Primus. The blood of Mitch Grassi's mortal."

The Primus took the tissue with a smirk. "This is the only source?"

"Yes, sir."

He pressed his nose to the paper, inhaling. "Good for one month. They'll sure be in for a surprise when it's missing."

"Yes, sir."

"You are to continue to pretend to help them. Do you understand?"

Jacob finally looked into the Primus' eyes, his own gaze pleading. "Sir..."

"Do you understand? You will gather with them on the man's death day. You will pretend to carry out your little experiment. And most importantly, you will step aside when my men come to end the mortal."

Jacob shut his eyes, trying to push down the guilt of torturing this poor soul again.

He knew that he would be punished in a manner that one could only compare to hell. He knew that either way, the Grassi family would suffer. That Scott Hoying would suffer.

"Yes, sir."

By October 27th, Mitch and Scott had found quite a lifestyle groove. Their days were quite pleasant.

They would wake up in each other's arms. They would start each day with a rigorous set of exercises. Wrestling. Naked.

Then they would shower. Together. To save water.

They would eat breakfast with Nel and Mike. Mike's eyes would light up at their company, but Mitch knew that it was more so for his new best friend, and not for his son. Mitch was somehow okay with this.

Their friends would come by sometime in the afternoons, on most days. Scott would put most of his energy into these visits, and would therefore be pretty drained by the time they would leave.

But not too drained for some more exercise after they were gone. They had to keep his body healthy, after all.

Scott would assist with dinner, which Nel found to be both extremely sweet and helpful. She ignored that pang in her heart each time he would make her laugh with a small joke, or when he would reach up to retrieve that dishes that were far too high for her.

Scott would insist that they watch a tv show or movie that was "trendy" before they would go to bed each night. Mitch hated to admit that he adored each and every choice.

And Scott would repay Mitch for allowing him to choose with a collection of sweet kisses. And sometimes, just a bit more naked wrestling.

For Scott's health.

Scott awoke to the sound of a slamming drawer on October 28th.

"You okay?"

He focused on Mitch's eyes, which were overflowing with a stream of tears as he moved his end table around, opening and shutting the drawer repeatedly. His skin was blotchy and red, and Scott sprang upwards, wrapping his arms around the smaller man. "What's the matter, Mitchy?"

"What did you do with it?" The words were low and held a threatening edge. Scott released him, shocked at his demeanor.

"Do with what?"