Chapter 32 - Mission Start

Start from the beginning

I quickly snuck into my own room so that the others wouldn't see me coming from Wally's, and I got ready. After putting my uniform on and freshening up, I met with the others in the training room. It didn't take long for Batman and Canary to arrive, along with Barry for some reason. I guess he had some more time on his hands now that I wasn't bothering him at his house.

"We're going to go through a few emergency tactics you can use if things take a turn for the worse, though I have faith it won't," Canary explained as the six of us spread out along the circular training pad in the center of the room. "Flash asked to tag along to work with the speedsters, so you will be training separately from the others."

Wally and I instantly looked towards Barry with unimpressed expression, to which he replied with a thumbs up and a grin. We split off and joined Barry on one side of the room while the rest of our team stood on the other.

"So, what was so important that you just had to separate us from the team?" I asked with my arms crossed, he mimics my pose in a mocking fashion.

"I just wanted to do some last minute prep with you on molecular vibration, which I think is the most valuable escape tactic. It could probably save your lives," Barry explained and I perked up a little bit. I knew of course there was no way I was going to master it in the few hours we had before our departure but it would still be useful practice. "In a real emergency your fight or flight instincts will probably kick in, you'll be in less control but I believe you can probably manage full body molecular vibration if you needed to," he explained and we nodded in agreement.

His words on fight or flight reminded me of my few experiences with the Speed Force when I was younger, the sporadic high speed frequency I was able to reach in moments of dire need. I hadn't been able to tap into that same mentality in over three years, I was starting to wonder if I even had the capability to do it anymore.

Wally and I practiced with Barry while the others trained with Canary and Batman, just like earlier this week, I could only really vibrate my right arm, while Wally could barely do it 1 out of 5 times. Overall our success rate wasn't that good, so I was hoping we wouldn't be forced to use it during our mission.

The hours flew by quickly and after a couple more hours to rest, it was nightfall. 9:00 p.m. to be exact. With all of us ready to go in uniform, we continued making last minute preparations. Batman, Canary, and Tornado agreed that they would stay in active communication with us throughout the mission, ready to help whenever we needed it. It brought a sense of closure that only boosted our mentality as our departure approached.

Soon, Meghan gathered us in the hangar outside of our ship, about to establish the mind link between the six of us. "It might feel a little weird for the first half hour, but you will quickly get used to it," she reassured as we stood in a circle. "Is everyone ready?" she asked and we all nodded in agreement. She smiled before shutting her eyes in concentration, and only a moment later I hear her voice in my head.

'Can everyone hear me?' her words resonated in my brain and we were quick to respond.

'All clear,' Kaldur's voice replied in my head.

'Loud and clear,' Rob spoke cheekily.

'Yes, ma'am,' I hum back.

'All good here,' Wally's cocky tone replied.

'Yes,' the simple harsh response of Superboy's words left an awkward vibe in my brain, but I knew I'd have to get used to it.

With the mind link formed, we were prepared to go. The League members met with us in the hangar for last minute words. "When you are ready to contact us, activate communications by pushing a button on your gear. Coms will not be active until then, so they will be undetectable by radar sensors." Batman explained and we all quickly located the communication button on our gear.