"What makes you think security will be any less tight back at his facility?" Daisy shoved a handful of Froot Loops in her mouth, making overly exaggerated pleasurable noises while fixing Zane with a stink eye that could kill a skunk.

"Intuition," Zane said. He knew it was not always a reliable source, but it was the best they had at this moment. It felt like the right choice, and a feeling in Zane's gut pulled him backward. He couldn't tell if it was eagerness to run away or longing to go back. He decided it was better not to question it.

"All due respect, dude," Mallory said cautiously. "But intuition's not enough to act on." She whirled around, her eyes blazing.

Daisy surprised everybody. "I trust him," she said, dumping more cereal into her mouth, which slightly downplayed her words. She raised an eyebrow as if daring anyone to contradict her. When no one did, she plastered a smug look over her face. She smirked. "I guess that's settled then."

"Yep," came Joseph's rough voice from behind Zane. He jumped, startled. "And if we're to believe Daisy, we should get moving." Daisy nodded and stepped forward. Her limp was reduced, but still noticeable. She didn't appear to be in pain, though. "Upsy daisy," Joseph said, slipping his arms under Zane's own. "Not you, Daisy." He pulled Zane to his feet, who was grinning like a fool.

Within moments, packs were slipped on shoulders and a small breakfast was eaten. Dirty shirts were changed. Joseph smiled when he saw Zane looking in his direction as he slipped a shirt over his bare chest. Zane blushed and diverted his gaze. He was starting to grow accustomed to the unfamiliar desires and feelings he felt when he looked at or thought of Joseph. He didn't know what it was, but he was going to welcome it. It felt better than being injected or abusing a wicked power.

And it proved Zane had some control over his life. Wawrzynski could never have planned for Zane's attraction to Joseph. As far as the man was concerned, they were simply fellow subjects that, by being placed together in his experiment, benefitted him.

In another couple moments, their impromptu hideout had been deserted and they were proceeding back the way they'd come, directly toward the exact place they'd tried to escape. Mallory and Marcus weren't very happy about it, but they were outnumbered and did not object.

Daisy was falling slightly behind on her wounded ankle, so Zane dropped back to slip an arm around her midsection and help her along. Again, she gave him a grateful look.

He returned it. "Thanks for backing me up," he said softly, quiet enough for only her to hear. She hobbled along, her blades swinging on her hip. Marcus and Mallory had strapped their weapons on as well, and Joseph looked out of place with no weapon. However, Zane didn't see himself or anybody else as more dangerous than Joseph. With the power Wawrzynski had given Joseph, he was a weapon on his own. Which is exactly what Wawrzynski wanted.

"No sweat," she answered dutifully. "Your intuition is usually correct. You were right about Wawrzynski wanting us to escape. You were right about him loosening his reins on us as long as we cooperated. And you always know exactly what to say."

Zane scoffed, severely doubting his social abilities. Daisy scoffed right back. "Seriously. You barely said any words when I told you about my family, but I felt immediately better afterward. You're like some gay wizard, working your cheerful magic."

"Why, thanks," he said monotonously. "I feel so much better." He didn't mention the fact that the term gay was partially unfamiliar to him. He'd heard it whispered once or twice in New Vancouver, but he had dismissed it as prejudice on the whisperer's conscience. And she said it so casually, he assumed it was common knowledge outside of his previous life.